Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I'm new to the Forum- i've had my car for three weeks or so- Of course I'm in love. I knew i would be.
Just one quick question- When my AC kicks on, it seems to have a bit of a rattle... i have plenty of warranty and all i'm just wondering if anyone else has expierenced this...?
Any info would be much appreciated!
Thanks again-
-Emily

·
Registered
344 Posts
Im on my 3rd Comp. GM now says normal, was bad on test drive now 6k mi. Made in Korea! Dont cool either. :lol:

·
Registered
201 Posts
The ac compressor should be quiet just like your engine.If the compessor fails internally the entire system usually gets contaminated with small pieces of compressor parts.This almost always clogs the orfice tube,and even after replacing tube and flushing the contaminates remain in the condensor until the new compessor is installed hopefully with the correct amount and type of oil then the system is turned on the particles obstruct the tube again restricting refrigerant and oil flow.Results are poor cooling and a soon to be compressor #2 failure.The best repair proceedure would include condensor,accumulater,orfice tube and a thorough flush.But this rarely happens which is sad but true.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I wouldn't say the compressor rattles, but it does growl on startup and then quiets down but never completely. GM says normal I say BS. Cools like a bandit, but the growl sucks. Never had a GM AC compressor sound this crappy. My dif sounds like crap too, 3rd one. GM zone rep is coming to town to have a listen. Dealer has been great so far though but I have to say that having major components on Pontiac's flagship car sound like junk is not a good thing. Regardless, the GTO is the only game in town in this class. LOVE IT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts