Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 GTO with the original 389-

My question is when I (or any of you) press the accelerator pedal all the way, what causes the pedal to stop?

A. The accelerator cable has been pulled its entire length and the carb linkage stops have bottomed out.
B. The pedal is hitting the floorboard and can no longer travel farther.

My situation has been B and I've noticed I never really got to WOT, even my outer carbs would maybe open 30% max.

My accelerator cable, accelerator cable bracket, stock Tri-power carbs and linkages are all stock with correct part numbers... I don't see any adjustability to the original parts either. Recently I purchased another original accelerator pedal to compare to my current one. Both still hit the floor with my carbs not fully open.

I removed the jute from under the carpet in that small area and that didn't help any. 2 days ago, I finally decided to heat the accelerator pedal framework and bend it. I bent it enough so that the pedal can now travel far enough to completely pull accelerator cable and have the carb linkage stops hit the base. The pedal is now about 1/4" off the floor at its full travel and does not touch. I took the car out to test and it is so much more lively and WOT is actually loud and pulls harder than ever before.

Does this sound like the right fix? Am I going to snap my accelerator cable by having all the stress on it, or is that how it is supposed to be?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I didn't mean to post this in electrical... if an admin could delete this, please...I'll post again in a more appropriate thread.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts