Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April someone pulled out in front of me and hit the right side of the bumper. (no hood damage, no headlight damage, no wheel damage) I had it repaired. The bumper cover never fit perfectly under the headlight but it was tolerable. Last week the gap got bigger. I took it back to the body shop and they showed me that the clip had broken away from the bumper cover. They are going to try to get the parts supplier to warranty the bumper cover. They said it's poor design and it's under stress. Has anyone here had this happen or know anything about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,100 Posts
The plastic front bumper skin attaches to the car via 7 screws plus 3 or 4 hook and clip assemblies. 2 of the hook and clips are in the front of the car -- and there's one each under the headlights, near the outside.

These clips will break if the bumper's hit by another car. They'll also break if the bumper is not installed correctly. Bad design? It's not the greatest -- but these things DO NOT just go and break on their own. There is very little stress on these clips when the hooks are in the right position and the bumper skin properly installed.

I'm curious to know if your repair was just a refinishing of the existing bumper skin -- or a completely new skin. If it was a refinishing, the clip got broken on the initial hit. If it was a new one -- the clip probably got broken when the shop was fitting the bumper back into place -- particularly if they put the skin on then had to take it back off to reposition it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,433 Posts
My car came with the gap you describe... The second time I had it in to correct it, it was corrected correctly. New clips on the outside near the gap were installed. I do have a gap wide enough to fit a playing card in. I have seen this same gap on 99% of the cars I looked at and the other 1% is where there is no gap at all. I just was at a dealership today and saw the exact same gaps on 2 different GTO's.

My gap got wider too. That's what prompted me to take it in again. The front fascia was protruding up and away from the fender. I agree, these clips are fragile. I am hoping they do not give way again. There is much play under the headlights. You can push in on it and it flexes much. Nature of the beast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses. The bumper cover is new. I just hate to have another repair done. The paint matched so well the first time (Barbados Blue). I am just wondering if this is going to be an ongoing problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Accident

I too was the victim of a moron yesterday. I was driving through the local Walmart parking lot and what would happen a moron in a 1993 Honda Accord backed right out of their parking slot into the side of my 4 month old GOAT.

I will post a pic, not much damage but my baby is no longer in pristene condition.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
madkat said:
I too was the victim of a moron yesterday. I was driving through the local Walmart parking lot and what would happen a moron in a 1993 Honda Accord backed right out of their parking slot into the side of my 4 month old GOAT.

I will post a pic, not much damage but my baby is no longer in pristene condition.
That's just gut-wrenching! I would not have been able to keep my cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
CPO's GTO said:
That's just gut-wrenching! I would not have been able to keep my cool!

Under most circumstances I would have went off, I mean I park in the middle of nowhere to avoid dinks, I park in a garage all the time and wash and wax it weekly, But for some reason I looked at my wife and said "It is just a car it can be replaced or repaired". I can't explain why I didn't go postal, just didn't think it would solve anything, plus side to all of this is they had insurance and it will be fixed. Just no longer a perfect car.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top