Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s a little project I’ve been wanting to get done and finally jumped in. Searching the interweb, I stumbled on the idea of mounting a bluetooth board in an old radio. Since the old AM didn’t work in the Tempest anyway, I figured it would be a good candidate.

I went with this board if anyone is interested. I figured for 19 bucks if it didn’t work out no big loss.

I pulled everything out of the radio I didn’t need. Since I still wanted the look, I kept all buttons and the tuning knob although they do nothing now. I measured and aligned the on/off/volume dial on the bluetooth board with the radio volume control. By mounting it the way I did, I am still able to use the radio volume knob just like factory except it controls the bluetooth now.

I have everything mounted back in the car and it works great. I have one speaker mounted in each door but pretty much any configuration could be used. I can now listen to any audio I tune into with my phone…..and plenty loud to wake the neighbors. I’ve already ordered a second unit to mount in the Barracuda. Jim
Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Automotive exterior Machine
Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Microcontroller Electronic component
Black Gas Machine Auto part Metal
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Electronic component Circuit component Electrical wiring
Gas Machine Wood Engineering Composite material
Wood Gas Asphalt Metal Auto part
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic engineering Electronic component Hardware programmer
Circuit component Electronic engineering Computer hardware Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior
Grille Hood Electrical wiring Gas Fender

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
I have a Kenwood Bluetooth amp in the trunk, but my OEM radio is dead in the water, so this was great!

I thought that I was a tinkerer, but you really stepped it up. Can you make me a functioning lightsaber so that I can vanquish my foes?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Nice job! I use “Out of sight audio” more expensive and the price has gone up, but a much easier install. The small box can be mounted anywhere in the car. Mine is in the trunk, power ground and speakers.

Your classic radio will still work as normal, no need to even go under the dash. The unit is never touched once installed. Just use your phone for all the controls.

I got it a few years ago and it was cheaper, but it is very convenient and you don’t have to mess up the dash. Yours is great very ingenious build and a great price!

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
I put in the sound system I always wanted, now I like listening to the exhaust...or for something going wrong, sometimes I'll just sit in the garage and turn it up to 11...I know I'm weird like that. I went a little overboard with a 100w per channel Rockford Fosgate amp and a RF 8" sub then 100w Alpines in the corners with generic grilles, my kick panels were shot so I put speakers in those and a new 4×10 in the dash hooked directly to the head unit, and subwoofer control in the ashtray...it's a face melter 👍
Bumper Floor Automotive exterior Wood Asphalt
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Car
Electronic instrument Gadget Audio equipment Musical instrument accessory Wood

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
589 Posts
AZ What is the sound like? I was only wanting a working AM radio for Paul Harvey or listen to a baseball game. Its nice to park under a tree listen to the radio, do some work on the car and be out with the kids.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Great job AZ,
maybe you should start a business! 😀
My AM still worked , so I just put a
RediRad into its ant jack under the dash, and ran its feedinput jack wire into the GloveBox , in there , I have a small $20 Amaz Blue-tooth module for use with Iphone-Sirius music , or I can switch it to a small cheap FM/CD player ,also in there, if desired. Going that way let me keep the DelcoReverb …you did great work thou AZ!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Really great idea. If ever there was a great side hustle, this is it. Bet you could get $200 a pop easy to do the conversion

Wish the tech was there for me 2 decades ago when I decided to ruin my glove box and cut holes in my doors an package tray to instal my "system"!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AZ What is the sound like? I was only wanting a working AM radio for Paul Harvey or listen to a baseball game. Its nice to park under a tree listen to the radio, do some work on the car and be out with the kids.
I was really shocked at the sound I’m getting. I have three songs I play for clarity as a test.

Elvis – “Heartbreak Hotel”
Slade – Opening to “You Boyz make big Noise”
and “My Sharona” guitar solo.

If I like the sound to those I’m good to go. With that being said there are going to be better ways with more control over the music but I’m happy with it.

I did go with better quality speakers so I’m sure that helps. I do have them mounted in my doors as that what I always preferred but this setup or something similar could always use the dash speaker and a 6x9 in the rear deck. I have some vintage Pioneers in a remote speakers enclosure from the 70s I plan on using in the 65 Barracuda as I don’t want to cut up that interior. If they don’t sound good I will upgrade the speakers once I have that one installed.

And thanks all for the kind words.
Jim

·
Registered
1967 Lemans 1967 GTO parts car
589 Posts
I did go with better quality speakers so I’m sure that helps. I do have them mounted in my doors as that what I always preferred but this setup or something similar could always use the dash speaker and a 6x9 in the rear deck. I have some vintage Pioneers in a remote speakers enclosure from the 70s I plan on using in the 65 Barracuda as I don’t want to cut up that interior. If they don’t sound good I will upgrade the speakers once I have that one installed.

And thanks all for the kind words.
Jim
Rectangle Tints and shades Camera accessory Box Electric blue

These are what I am putting in the Pontiac an amp to filter the output/limit distortion and run a basic sub cause there was no bass back then. The Mercury has 6 x 9 Realistics from the 80s I will keep the grills if I don't keep the speakers.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here’s a little project I’ve been wanting to get done and finally jumped in. Searching the interweb, I stumbled on the idea of mounting a bluetooth board in an old radio. Since the old AM didn’t work in the Tempest anyway, I figured it would be a good candidate.

I went with this board if anyone is interested. I figured for 19 bucks if it didn’t work out no big loss.

I pulled everything out of the radio I didn’t need. Since I still wanted the look, I kept all buttons and the tuning knob although they do nothing now. I measured and aligned the on/off/volume dial on the bluetooth board with the radio volume control. By mounting it the way I did, I am still able to use the radio volume knob just like factory except it controls the bluetooth now.

I have everything mounted back in the car and it works great. I have one speaker mounted in each door but pretty much any configuration could be used. I can now listen to any audio I tune into with my phone…..and plenty loud to wake the neighbors. I’ve already ordered a second unit to mount in the Barracuda. Jim
View attachment 145800 View attachment 145801 View attachment 145802 View attachment 145803 View attachment 145804 View attachment 145805 View attachment 145806 View attachment 145807 View attachment 145808 View attachment 145809
What an awesome idea and execution

·
Registered
1967 GTO , 4-speed, vinyl top, 400 cid, 4 bbl Quadrajet, color M1 (Plum Mist), parchment interior.
4 Posts
Thanks for the tip on RadiRad tip. Just what I need for my 67 GTO AM only radio so I can play my Oldies but Goodies CD's after downloading on a MP3 device .

·
Registered
66 Posts
What a great option AZ, thanks for the post. I just ordered one to install in the 66's original AM Delco that hasn't worked since I bought the car 40 years ago. Already started a crusin' playlist on my phone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been busy with the TKX install lately, but finally got the amp installed and the radio back in the car. Couldn't get my Samsung J7 phone to connect but my tablet did so I copied over my playlist. Sound is actually pretty good with just the two rear 6" speakers hooked up but quality does vastly change depending on the file. A lot of my files were saved/converted from youtube and don't sound near as good as the ones I ripped from CD. Hopefully the amp lasts for a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just a heads up for those following this thread. My BT amp only worked once and won't connect again. My tablet will still recognize it but I get a message that it can't connect so I tried hooking it to a 18 volt 2 amp power supply and get the same result. I even asked a neighbor to bring his I-phone over to try it and it to is a no-go. China garbage strikes again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts