Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Adding A/C to 74 GTO/Ventura

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  88redconvert 
#1 ·
I am curious as to if aftermarket A/C can be added to a non A/C 74 car, what is involved, the cost and if any has a vendor suggestion?

Thanks

#2 ·
'71-74 Ventura's use the same style heater or AC control as a '69 Camaro. In the late 80's and through the 90's I pulled many many such X body AC and non AC controls in the Pick-N-Pulls & crusher yards and all were sold to '69 Camaro owners.

There are several aftermarket AC conversions for factory heater equipped '69 Camaro's. Nearly all use a version of the last 25 year's Sandeen compressor. You will need Pontiac specific brackets to mount the Sandeen compressor, Vintage Air will have them.

For those with fairly stock factory AC equipped GTO's, Firebird 400's, etc, be aware that blowing the bank to install complete March pulley/ bracket systems along with Vintage AC...it gets very expensive, and not everyone buys into the magazine hype and desires that look in their 45+ year old GM muscle car. In the last 6 years I've had nearly a dozen customer contacts that confided to me that they wish they never spent the thousands on the billet brackets, pulleys, adjusters and Vintage AC parts, as they could have rebuilt their factory AC systems for a fraction, and by adding all the aftemarket flash under the hood, they narrowed the market of potential buyers when they offered their car for sale. In two instances I've been offered Pontiac specific March pulley bracket setups for 25 cents on the dollar. In another instance a good friend and nationally known restorer picked up a complete really nice '69 Firebird AC box and perfect evap core along with oem brackets and pulleys for $100. Thats nearly $700 worth of desirable oem parts, at afriendly deal. The seller had installed the complete March setup along with Vintage AC pieces on his '69 Bird, grew tired of the Bird within a year of completing it, sold the Bird at auction and lost a boatload of $$$$ on the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.