Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Adjustable seating??

5K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  ppurfield001 
#1 ·
I'm contemplating changing out my original seating in my 66 to something that would still be close to original but have the adjusting tilt feature. When did the GTO go to adjustable tilt seating and how close to looking original would I be looking at? Also, would it be a simple swap out or am I looking at having to mod the railing?

-X

#2 ·
The GTO had an optional reclining passenger seat starting 1966. The optional headrest equipped seats usually had this option. You could not get the recliner without the headrest. Unfortunately, it was only available for the passenger side!! Maybe you could find one and convert it. Be prepared to spend big $$$. In more than 30 years of GTO'ing, I've run into ONE early GTO that had this option, and it belongs to a gentleman on this forum!!! I've never seen any of these seats in my many junkyard crawls.

#3 ·
X, I am pretty sure that 67 GTO had apower seat option that went forward/back, and up/down called 4way. I am not sure it tilted also.....There was a 6 way option for bench seats.....I had a 73 Riviera with bucket seats they were 6 way...perhaps you could find a version of this system and use it...I will look into this further and post again. Eric

#5 ·
I think the power tracks MAY actually make the seat ride higher. I will try to find out. You may have to "customize" a set....... ppurfield is about 6'8" ! He put 2004-2006 GTO seats in his 67, and moved them back some. they are nice looking seats. Send him a PM and get some feedback from him. I am a shorty 6'1":lol: :cheers Eric

#7 ·
You must be long in the torso and short legged. My wife is 1" shorter than me but her inseam is 3 " longer !! She's all legs. When she sits in her car, she looks short but when I get in her car, I have to move the seat forward to reach the pedals.
There are aftermarket brackets now that position the seat rearwards a couple inches by bolting to the existing floor brackets and then the seats bolt to the extenders. Don't know if the extra leg length would help but the seat tilts back more in that position too. Heck, put a half inch spacer under the front legs with longer bolts for the tilt and see if that helps.

#11 ·
This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.