Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so I'm clear a pontiac runs counter-clockwise and if I want to advance the timing I do the opposite of what I would do on a chevy correct?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On the damper it says Before/Aft which I assume means before top dead center and after meaning after top dead center so if I put it at 12 Before that means I would have advanced the initial timing 12 degrees. Man I feel like I'm back in math with all the numbers from today.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything I look at online has 1 thing in common and it's not Pontiac. If I had a small block chevy I could have rebuilt it with a stick of bubble gum and a paper clip 5 times over with all the material, hints and data I've found. It's also pretty convenient when you go to your local parts store and they actually have what you're looking for.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
....and you could have built it for half the price or less, too. It's always easier to take the low road.....class and character take effort!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everything I look at online has 1 thing in common and it's not Pontiac. If I had a small block chevy I could have rebuilt it with a stick of bubble gum and a paper clip 5 times over with all the material, hints and data I've found. It's also pretty convenient when you go to your local parts store and they actually have what you're looking for.
I agree.. This is my first non SBC..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just purchased my first home so money is a bit tight and when I look at the price of parts for a nova, chevelle, camaro or mustang it's definitely tempting. I just purchased a rear bumper aftermarket and I looked at what a NOS Nova bumper would cost and it's night and day. Overall though I love pulling into a gas station and people telling me they love seeing something other than a ford or chevy is too cool to give up on though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rotor rotates counter clockwise so I believe you would move the distributor the exact opposite of what you would on a chevrolet. I just look at a youtube video and do the exact opposite as everything online is for a SBC 350.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Thanks, I think I have been retarding my timing by moving the distributor clockwise. I need to get a light on it!!

I have no idea how a Chevy works, never adjusted timing before this Pontiac (is there anything else?).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts