Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't help but wonder if the GTO's sales #'s would've been better if it was more aggressively marketed by PONTIAC? PONTIAC's focus seems to be on the G6 and the Solstice....almost every other commercial during the NCAA tournament tonight is about those cars.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I bought my 05 about 2 weeks ago. Up until I started my search for a new car about a month ago I had never even seen a TV or print ad for the GTO as far as I can remember.

I think the first time I ever remember hearing about the GTO may have been an article in R&T, C&D or MT. But that never really stuck in my head.

Has anyone seen a TV ad for the 05 GTO? Print ads?

It's no wonder this car is invisible to most people.

On the other hand, I can't believe how easy it was to get a dealer down to invoice on this car. Total elapsed time 15 minutes. Paid 31,200. They attempted to sell paint protector but no extended warranty pitch. It was almost like they were glad to sell one. Wierd!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I've seen one printed ad in a magazine. Basically, without any advertizing GM is selling the 05 GTO at twice the rate they were the 04s last year at this time. Not sure they need to advertize. I stopped in my dealer today. He has gotten 12 GTOs so far - only two manuals. He as 6 left on the lot and they are all automatics. He said that recently the M6s are being constrained and he can only get the A4s. First time I've really seen the 05s. Pretty nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BRIAN P. EWING said:
I can't help but wonder if the GTO's sales #'s would've been better if it was more aggressively marketed by PONTIAC? PONTIAC's focus seems to be on the G6 and the Solstice....almost every other commercial during the NCAA tournament tonight is about those cars.
I couldn't agree more. There are lot's of exciting offering's out there. Current publications on the new Aussie Holden GTO are luke warm, due to the generic Pontiac styling. Jumping behind the the wheel of a new 2005 6 speed, this is a kick'n car. I currently own a C-5 6 speed Corvette as a weekend drive, planning on a new Z06. If the deal falls througth, I'll get a 2005 Goat and winter tire package to replace two cars. No regrets. G.M recently announced cancelation of the upcoming rear drive Zeta platform. Bad, Bad move. As an example. Current Buick Regal GS owners, wouldn't even consider a new LaCrosse. G.M. has excellent products in the pipeline. Keep moving forward, GO-GO-GO. Surely, few would miss a couple 6500# Suburbans.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone ever considered that maybe Holden's assembly line wouldn't be able to suport more then 20,000 vehicles? Holden is not lacking for sales and thier production is more then enough to suport the assembly line. Pontiac wants to introduce a new product line. The first step is to get something on the showroom floor. Once the platform is changed and a different assembly line is used, larger numbers can be produced.

It is possible at this point that large production numbers are not possible. This would explain why Pontiac is not aggressive in advertising.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The GTO will never be a savior for the Pontiace line and shouldn't be the bases for their marketing dollars. Why blow millions selling a car that's limited in production? The begin with, the market for a V8, RWD, two door is as large as the family sedan. You don't any of the other manufacturers pushing these cars, as they are showing Accords, Camrys, Mazda6, and now Pontiac is advertising the G6. Next time you are at work, take a look around and count the number of cars like the GTO in your parking lot compared to the other styles. I know that I'm about the only one with this type of car besides a couple f-bodys and Mustangs. Advertise to the 90 percentile as the enthusiasts already know more about the car than all of the ads combined can deliver.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
muohio said:
The GTO will never be a savior for the Pontiace line and shouldn't be the bases for their marketing dollars. Why blow millions selling a car that's limited in production? The begin with, the market for a V8, RWD, two door is as large as the family sedan. You don't any of the other manufacturers pushing these cars, as they are showing Accords, Camrys, Mazda6, and now Pontiac is advertising the G6. Next time you are at work, take a look around and count the number of cars like the GTO in your parking lot compared to the other styles. I know that I'm about the only one with this type of car besides a couple f-bodys and Mustangs. Advertise to the 90 percentile as the enthusiasts already know more about the car than all of the ads combined can deliver.
I think you're right. Everything I have seen recently in the media has indicated that consumers have been walking away from coupes for a decade in favor of sedans and SUV's. I can understand that. Coupes aren't most practical body style.

Now that I own a GTO, I do look around the parking lot at work and elsewhere and guess what, I don't see many coupes let alone high performance coupes. Still, if this was to be a Halo car for Pontiac, I would have expected some hoopla. At any rate, I love the car and I'm just thankful that GM sells it here, if only for 3 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.