Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Okay, but seriously, aside from the fact the everyone on Earth knows Im looking for a 400, some arent very good because they were weaker casts, so yes, find out what you have!

That being said, if you're close to someone who wants it, then it's great... but not many people will spend much on an unverified engine, especially if it's far away. There's very little protection or guarantee when buying a used engine, so its a leap of faith for the buyer... better if they know you.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
It's a fine plan but I'd really like to recover the money @Jared. I may kick myself one day but right now the mission creep that's already happened in 2 months of ownership is just unreal....

Plus tonight Christine did no behave herself. I noticed a while back that she only had 2 bolts in the door hinges on the door side. One upper and one lower. Both driver and passenger side were the same. Today a set of hinge bolts came in the mail so I figured hey, it's 85 in the garage with 85% humidity and I've already showered and put on nice clothes for the day but... how hard can it be to add a 4 bolts to each door right? Needless to say, my clothes are in the laundry and I just got out of shower two... and I only added 4 of the 8 missing bolts... and scratched the driver side door with some miss adjustment on try number 397.... So, she is on the naughty list tonight.
The projects will NEVER end.
  • Replace the modulator, it's defective and fails the next day
  • Replace the rear brakes, wash the car and discover that one of the new wheel cylinders is leaking
  • Hit a bump, hear a rattle, find a bolt missing
  • Swap the trans, the power steering box goes the next day
  • Replace the tires, need a new carb.
People on the street are so enchanted when they see these old cars, but when you own one, it's no mystery why they're all off the road.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Does the fact that it's complete from pan to air cleaner with all accessories/brackets/pulleys and the fact that it's currently running help?
Yes. And as much as I'd love to have it, it's probably worth a lot more than a casual buyer would pay. If it's a running, complete, 360 HP, I'd put it up for at least $2000, and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Like I previously mentioned I must have found a sucker or a guy with money because I got 2300.00 for a 1970 small valve head 455 with a rod knock! It included the p/s, alternator, pulleys, flywheel with worn clutch, a Chinese HEI dist, new stock chrome vc's but no carb and some more parts but stilll. View attachment 156232 View attachment 156233
A lo of that has to do with all of these classic car dealers that are popping up. They need running Pontiac engines for their piece mealed frankenstein cars. They'll repaint it and it'll add $10k to their selling price.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Now I know why army is wanting one to build ! 😂😂
Truth be told, when you have a 55 year old car that you drive weekly, having a spare engine is always a good idea.

Ive been and engine to build as a winter work bench project for more than 20 years... but Ive always looked for Chevy 283's and straight 6's, which I love. A few years back, I expanded my search to Pontiacs, but most of the ones I see in the East are terribly neglected and over priced... and since I have no urgency, I just keep looking.

I picked up a 327/ 360 hp last week, so if I don't get a Pontiac, then that'll be my project. It'll be a nice backup if I ever needed an engine while mine was being rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
I guess the 2k mentioned by @Duff on the first page is a good place to go out based on all I'm seeing. Something is worth what the local market will bare. If it's fair, someone will jump. If not, I'll get the message and adjust. You can always adjust down if need be but can never go up... Oh, and just remembered... It will come with both a flywheel and a flex plate.
Exactly! The more I read, the more I think I'd lean toward $3000 and work my way down.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Thank you very much for all your insight. Will see what happens in a few weeks when the 400 comes out and comes home. I've already worked up a draft on FB marketplace and have taken photos and videos.
Most of the cores-of-unkown-origin I see are selling for $1000, and they're all leaps pf faith. You don't have to sell this a rebuildable core. It's running.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.....you don't spit into the wind....you don't pull the mask off of old Lone Ranger
and you don't mess around with Jim!"-------James Croce
Well, my name is Jim, and I'm an idiot, so whenever you wish to be right in a conversation, I'm available in the evenings, M-F

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
Yeah... Im looking at a KLR650, and I'm trying to talk myself out of it... but if this pandemic-economy doesnt turn around soon, a $150 dual sport payment, trumps the $150 a week that we spend on dinner and drinks.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
I would love building a 'new school' engine for an A body and just might as a bucket list item. But there is something to be said about a 300-400 HP engine you can drive for 40 years plus and not have to fix or even tinker with. I like that.
That has been my goal since day one. Build a nice spare engine to have in case I need it, and have my born-with engine running as efficiently as possible, and making 400hp.

I know dozens and dozens of guys with hotrods, but they all build them into race cars and then can't drive them anywhere but to the parking lot on Friday night. I, on the other hand, would hop in mine and drive to Canada, without even thinking twice.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
My issue is that my traveling is largely limited by my geography. On the East coast, in South Jersey, you cant go North, South, or West without enduring "death race 2000"... the onslaught of commuters, tourists, and assholes... so while my car has no issue making the trip, New York City, Washington DC, and Philidelphia are all blocking my access to the open road.

Unless I embark at 3am.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
I have relatives on the east coast and get it. Traffic sucks. But the seafood kicks our 'left coast' butt, hands down. And the Italian food out here is a joke. The history is killer, too. Lots of open roads out where I am, and it takes longer to get out of CA than it does to go through 3 states back east. I did sell my Model T and stopped riding my street bike 3-4 years ago due to cell-phone-distracted drivers, though.
Agreed 100%.

If Rock-n-Roll, AWESOME FOOD, culture, history, and Stank Ho's are your thing, then Jersey has it all!

We also have hundreds of miles of desolate farm, country, and coastal roads, and I can easily log 150 miles in a day, and barely see another car... Thanks to being the corruption capital of the country, Jersey is 100% union, so even the most remote and unused roads, have brand new, state of the art pavement!

In fact, the only thing you cant do in Jersey is leave this shithole!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts