Pontiac GTO Forum banner
121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
64-67 Expert
9,172 Posts
My issue is that my traveling is largely limited by my geography. On the East coast, in South Jersey, you cant go North, South, or West without enduring "death race 2000"... the onslaught of commuters, tourists, and assholes... so while my car has no issue making the trip, New York City, Washington DC, and Philidelphia are all blocking my access to the open road.

Unless I embark at 3am.
I have relatives on the east coast and get it. Traffic sucks. But the seafood kicks our 'left coast' butt, hands down. And the Italian food out here is a joke. The history is killer, too. Lots of open roads out where I am, and it takes longer to get out of CA than it does to go through 3 states back east. I did sell my Model T and stopped riding my street bike 3-4 years ago due to cell-phone-distracted drivers, though.

·
Premium Member
Cameo Ivory 1967
4,260 Posts
I have relatives on the east coast and get it. Traffic sucks. But the seafood kicks our 'left coast' butt, hands down. And the Italian food out here is a joke. The history is killer, too. Lots of open roads out where I am, and it takes longer to get out of CA than it does to go through 3 states back east. I did sell my Model T and stopped riding my street bike 3-4 years ago due to cell-phone-distracted drivers, though.
Agreed 100%.

If Rock-n-Roll, AWESOME FOOD, culture, history, and Stank Ho's are your thing, then Jersey has it all!

We also have hundreds of miles of desolate farm, country, and coastal roads, and I can easily log 150 miles in a day, and barely see another car... Thanks to being the corruption capital of the country, Jersey is 100% union, so even the most remote and unused roads, have brand new, state of the art pavement!

In fact, the only thing you cant do in Jersey is leave this shithole!

·
Registered
1970 Pontiac
183 Posts
Agreed 100%.

If Rock-n-Roll, AWESOME FOOD, culture, history, and Stank Ho's are your thing, then Jersey has it all!

We also have hundreds of miles of desolate farm, country, and coastal roads, and I can easily log 150 miles in a day, and barely see another car... Thanks to being the corruption capital of the country, Jersey is 100% union, so even the most remote and unused roads, have brand new, state of the art pavement!

In fact, the only thing you cant do in Jersey is leave this shithole!
😂😂😂

·
Premium Member
4,750 Posts
Hi Paul!

·
Registered
1970 GTO / 400 / 4 speed
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Well, I listed the motor the other day and got 3 offers in as many days. Two of which were full price... $2500. I am glad I went out on the higher end the recommendations I got here. One party did say they were mailing me a check and could pick up at the shop doing my R&R when the it's out. So, I guess it's pending once I get the check in the mail. The guy who's buying it said that he was looking for a 1968 4 speed motor for his brother's firebird so it was a perfect match. Now to get the swap done...

·
64-67 Expert
9,172 Posts
Well, I listed the motor the other day and got 3 offers in as many days. Two of which were full price... $2500. I am glad I went out on the higher end the recommendations I got here. One party did say they were mailing me a check and could pick up at the shop doing my R&R when the it's out. So, I guess it's pending once I get the check in the mail. The guy who's buying it said that he was looking for a 1968 4 speed motor for his brother's firebird so it was a perfect match. Now to get the swap done...
This is a win for you and the guy with the Firebird. Great news, and thanks for the follow-up.

·
Registered
1970 GTO / 400 / 4 speed
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Well boys, the time has come. The 400 is out of the car and my buyer lands at the shop doing the swap tomorrow. It ran so well on the trip to the shop that I briefly wondered about my intentions... Anyways, next week the real work starts with all the new parts going in. Fresh 428 and M20, Yukon LS diff and DANA 3.55's with aluminum cover, new master and brake booster conversion from manual brakes, Dougs headers, Pypes H Bomb exhaust with turbos, Granatelli cutouts, Borgeson steering box and rag joint, CVF serpentine conversion, DEI HEI and wires, Quick Fuel 4150 carb, Carter fuel pump, Tuff stuff starter, Ram clutch and flywheel, Flowkooler water pump, etc....

Yeah, there was mission creep with my simple engine swap... When she gets back home, I'll do my Dakota Digital gauge swap and install my audio equipment. Then throw a cover over til spring and try to recover financially... Or order more parts to install next spring... I wonder which way that will go....

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Well boys, the time has come. The 400 is out of the car and my buyer lands at the shop doing the swap tomorrow. It ran so well on the trip to the shop that I briefly wondered about my intentions... Anyways, next week the real work starts with all the new parts going in. Fresh 428 and M20, Yukon LS diff and DANA 3.55's with aluminum cover, new master and brake booster conversion from manual brakes, Dougs headers, Pypes H Bomb exhaust with turbos, Granatelli cutouts, Borgeson steering box and rag joint, CVF serpentine conversion, DEI HEI and wires, Quick Fuel 4150 carb, Carter fuel pump, Tuff stuff starter, Ram clutch and flywheel, Flowkooler water pump, etc....

Yeah, there was mission creep with my simple engine swap... When she gets back home, I'll do my Dakota Digital gauge swap and install my audio equipment. Then throw a cover over til spring and try to recover financially... Or order more parts to install next spring... I wonder which way that will go....
Nice list of upgrades! Which Ram clutch are you going with? I had a 10" Ram clutch behind the 400 that came out of mine. I went with the 11" McLeod for the new engine.

·
Registered
1970 GTO / 400 / 4 speed
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Jared, I called and talked to Mike from RAM. For my use he recommended the 11" HDX so that's what I got along with one of their billet steel flywheels. He said unless I go way up in power and add slicks, this clutch is more than enough for me as I'll break traction long before I'll slip the clutch. He told me that as with most things, people often go with "bigger must be better" and over clutch their cars. This leaves you with a leg shaker of a pedal and no benefit.

Anyways, the engine headed off to NY today and I stopped to visit the new 428 as it was still on the stand being broken in. My builder ran it for me briefly and I think I should have brought hearing protection. Man was that beast loud with no exhaust at high RPM! Getting pretty excited about all the upgrades about to happen. Hopefully I have it back the week after next...

121 - 138 of 138 Posts