Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have been thinking of getting a GTO since 2004 and now I am very close to purchasing one! (Black on black). I test drove one about a month ago. I was very impressed with the interior and of course the performance. I have been a passive observer on this forum and it has been extremely helpful. My apologies for my repeat questions, but if anyone can provide me with his/her input, it would be much appreciated.

First, price. At this time I have a negotiated price of $30,999.00 for auto trans and the 18" wheels from a window sticker price of $33,785.00. I'm in the Chicago area. The dealer indicates that he can't come down any lower--the negotiated price includes $500 Pontiac rebate and the $1000 "conquest rebate" for trading in my non-GM vehicle. Do you think I should hold out or "dude, what are you waiting for?--take the offer!"

My second question relates to the 17" wheels v. the 18" wheels. What are the "pros/cons" for each size?

Thanks for all your help and I hope to be a full member by the weekend!

·
Registered
22 Posts
That price isnt terrible, and was where I was quoted at first, but I told the local dealership that I was actually going to buy an 05 for 28 at another dealership and they dropped the price one a blue/blue 06 to 28 to match it... SO try that and see if it works, of course this would only be if they don't have any new 05's on the lot. So, I'm waiting to see if I can get the 05 any lower before I make my purchase

As far as 17's vs. 18's, it is too my understanding that for some reason, the tires on the 17's in some cases wear faster because the inside wall is rubbing against something it shouldn't be... So i would stick with 18's :cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks cgvalant for your response. I wonder if geography has an effect on how much you can negotiate a price. Its my understanding, for example, in Southern CA, the dealers are tough to negotiate with because it's a popular car in that region. It appears that you are in the Raleigh, NC area--is it your impression that the dealers are having a difficult time selling the GTO?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yalie GTO said:
Thanks cgvalant for your response. I wonder if geography has an effect on how much you can negotiate a price. Its my understanding, for example, in Southern CA, the dealers are tough to negotiate with because it's a popular car in that region. It appears that you are in the Raleigh, NC area--is it your impression that the dealers are having a difficult time selling the GTO?

At first I didnt think that dealers around here had problems selling the GTO's, but the more I think about it, I notice how much money they are knocking off the price. I never would have thought that I could get an 06 for 28, especially when I was getting quoted for 28,500 for 05's. Of course i'm sure that if I went back to the dealer tomorrow they would give me a different price around 29 or 30... they just want to get me back in. Some one else was telling me on here that they live in virginia I think, and to get a GTO for 26, they had to buy one from NY...

So it does seem like location affects price... If you really want to get the price lower, call around to dealers across a few neighboring states and see what they say.

·
Registered
455 Posts
From what I've seen, it seems like location does affect price. It seems to be that northern areas or areas where there are likely to be some snowdays during the winter give better deals than non-snowy areas, like Florida.

That said, the price you have negotiated is not bad at all. I think it is pretty unlikely that you would get them to go down to $28k like the other lucky poster got--I've heard of people trying to get an 06 for the discounted 05 price, and most of those people have been told, "If you want that price, go buy the 05".
I do not know if you could talk them down further.. but if so, it probably isn't a whole lot less.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Down here in Texas I have seen some strange priceing used 05 for 34900
down to 25800 06 was 31k to full MSRP. Still looking for a 05 new or used with M6 and 18".

·
Registered
172 Posts
yaliegto
Hello everyone! I have been thinking of getting a GTO since 2004 and now I am very close to purchasing one! (Black on black). I test drove one about a month ago. I was very impressed with the interior and of course the performance.
You got some good answers already so I'll just say welcome and congrats in advance. Your making a great choice, I have a black 06 myself. I just had the windows tinted and let me tell ya, it looks sweet. Not to dark, but just enough. I talked to a state trooper in IL and he told me as long as they can see through you will not be bothered. My tint looks darker than it really is in my pics.
Anyway, get ready to have some fun, this car is all that and a bag of potato chips!:cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yalie GTO said:
Hello everyone! I have been thinking of getting a GTO since 2004 and now I am very close to purchasing one! (Black on black). I test drove one about a month ago. I was very impressed with the interior and of course the performance. I have been a passive observer on this forum and it has been extremely helpful. My apologies for my repeat questions, but if anyone can provide me with his/her input, it would be much appreciated.

First, price. At this time I have a negotiated price of $30,999.00 for auto trans and the 18" wheels from a window sticker price of $33,785.00. I'm in the Chicago area. The dealer indicates that he can't come down any lower--the negotiated price includes $500 Pontiac rebate and the $1000 "conquest rebate" for trading in my non-GM vehicle. Do you think I should hold out or "dude, what are you waiting for?--take the offer!"

My second question relates to the 17" wheels v. the 18" wheels. What are the "pros/cons" for each size?

Thanks for all your help and I hope to be a full member by the weekend!
price id check the internet. thats what i did . as for the 17 vs 18 i test drove one with the 18s didnt like the ride too stiff of a ride. the i deal with the 17s rubbing i havent had that problem. the rubbing could be coused by too low of air pressure ive got 40psi in mine like said no problems yet only have 1800 mile since july 05.

·
Registered
172 Posts
bluebyeu05 said:
price id check the internet. thats what i did . as for the 17 vs 18 i test drove one with the 18s didnt like the ride too stiff of a ride. the i deal with the 17s rubbing i havent had that problem. the rubbing could be coused by too low of air pressure ive got 40psi in mine like said no problems yet only have 1800 mile since july 05.
When you test drove the 18's maybe the high tire pressure contributed to your opinion of it being too stiff, I think after the pressure is adjusted they are fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.