Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to embark on a 4 wheel disc upgrade on my 66. I just redid the rear springs (stock), shocks (kyb semi firm) and upgraded to tubular upper and lower control arms with a swaybar. It is a bit stiff and a bit taller than I'd like, which I hope will calm down, but a huge improvement over my sagging stock stuff.

For the front everything is still stock. I have a used set of QUICKOR 1.5" drop springs and KYB shocks I was planning to use with stock spindles, but read recently that springs can alter the suspension geometry and limit travel and drop spindles are a better choice. So, now I am looking at using a CPP 2" drop spindle Wilwood brake combo with new stock springs and KYB shocks.

My goal is to drop the front 1.5-2" to improve fender gap, but also get some improved handling without rattling fillings. My car is unrestored and still very "squeaky" so not looking for an autocross suspension, if that makes sense. Pics of current stance attached.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Id like to see what you come up with. I also read the same about the springs changing the geometry and to use spindles. I also read somewhere that new spindles aren’t great quality and to try and find spindles from a cutlass in the junk yard and you’ll get a drop.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
475 Posts
I just redid the front and rear, upper and lowers on my 67, with Global West Tubular arms, UMI "stock height" coils, and Bilsteins. Yes, it all changes the geometry. If you simply push down on the front of your car, you can see the camber and toe in changing... I believe they call that bump steer.

I can tell you that when I just ditched my 55 year old coils, it completely threw out the alignment. It raised the front at least 2".

Personally, I love GTO's that sit high and level. I realize that's subjective. My 70 Vette sits high, too. In my experience, a well maintained and cohesive configuration, works better than simply lowering the car. If you're going for aesthetics, then there are many solutions, but if your concern is handling, then try and find an existing setup and follow their guidelines or components.

Hit up the Global West website. They have many A Body videos and they race these cars. They also answer the phone and are extremely helpful. I called them and told them that I was going to have trouble installing their parts, because of my headers. I figured that theyd laugh at me. They actually told me how to do it and save about 6 hours!

·
Registered
1967 400/400
475 Posts
Looking at your pictures and reading, it seems like you did it right, but you only did the back, correct? I apologize if my comments are a bit subjective/ opinionated, but I see that you have low profile tires, and (maybe) that's why the tires arent filling in the wheel well. The problem is, as I mentioned earlier, the components all need to match, before you'll notice improvements. The mere addition of low profile tires, won't help the handling on an "overly" worn suspension of cars like ours, which never handled well, even when new! If you finish your front suspension to match the back, then you'll likely love the handling, but it won't give the look you want.

Bigger rims with lower tires would help, but not be cheap. All I can say is that my 70 Vette, sitting high on stock dimension, classic BFG 70 Radials, handles like a cream puff, on a slot car track. I contribute it to everything working together well.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but watch Dougs videos on Global West.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at your pictures and reading, it seems like you did it right, but you only did the back, correct? I apologize if my comments are a bit subjective/ opinionated, but I see that you have low profile tires, and (maybe) that's why the tires arent filling in the wheel well. The problem is, as I mentioned earlier, the components all need to match, before you'll notice improvements. The mere addition of low profile tires, won't help the handling on an "overly" worn suspension of cars like ours, which never handled well, even when new! If you finish your front suspension to match the back, then you'll likely love the handling, but it won't give the look you want.

Bigger rims with lower tires would help, but not be cheap. All I can say is that my 70 Vette, sitting high on stock dimension, classic BFG 70 Radials, handles like a cream puff, on a slot car track. I contribute it to everything working together well.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but watch Dougs videos on Global West.

Thanks army. Yes, only the back is done so far.

Those are 17s on there with 245 and 275 (rear) 45 17 tires. So, they have the same overall diameter as the stock 205/75/14 equivalent tires and, thus, the same fender well gap.

I'm familiar with Global West, great parts but $$ and I'm not in the market to do a full a arm upgrade. I'll check out there videos though.

I'm pondering just bolting up a Wilwood kit to the existing drum spindles and adding new shocks = no change front ride height BUT old springs stay with better shocks
vs.
2" Drop spindle with new stock height springs and shocks = 1.5ish" drop in front. That'll give it the raked look I like. I'm not a huge fan of the pro touring stance, but I would like the front a bit lower.

Just not sure which would provide the best road manners.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
To me, I think your car sets just right as is. Depending on the age and condition of your front control arm bushings they may have as much impact on the performance feel up there as anything, especially cornering. I would make sure they are in good shape or replaced in the process.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 67, I'll make sure to check the bushings.

After sleeping on it, I'll likely just retain the stock spindles/springs for now to speed up the brake swap process. I will be adding new front shocks though.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
475 Posts
Thanks army. Yes, only the back is done so far.

Those are 17s on there with 245 and 275 (rear) 45 17 tires. So, they have the same overall diameter as the stock 205/75/14 equivalent tires and, thus, the same fender well gap.

I'm familiar with Global West, great parts but $$ and I'm not in the market to do a full a arm upgrade. I'll check out there videos though.

I'm pondering just bolting up a Wilwood kit to the existing drum spindles and adding new shocks = no change front ride height BUT old springs stay with better shocks
vs.
2" Drop spindle with new stock height springs and shocks = 1.5ish" drop in front. That'll give it the raked look I like. I'm not a huge fan of the pro touring stance, but I would like the front a bit lower.

Just not sure which would provide the best road manners.

Thanks!
Wow! They're 17"s! I have to say, even though I never really cared for the "custom rim/ lo-pro" look IN GENERAL, I do think that it works on your car. Coincidently, the reason that I never cared for it is exactly why you don't... It never seems to fill out the wheel well. It's not just GTO's... I don't like them on Vette's, Novas, Chevelles, anything! To my brain, muscle cars had big tires, dual exhaust, hood scoops...

When I had my Trans Am they told me that it needed a 3" single exhaust to make power, and I said no way!

A GTO is no easy car to fill the wheel wells on!

As for the Global West stuff... Yeah, I think I paid 3 times what I couldve gotten stuff for on Summit. There are much cheaper options. I just started using UMI and their stuff is awesome!

·
Registered
1967 400/400
475 Posts
To me, I think your car sets just right as is. Depending on the age and condition of your front control arm bushings they may have as much impact on the performance feel up there as anything, especially cornering. I would make sure they are in good shape or replaced in the process.
I'm the second owner on my car. Garage kept, 70k. Of the 8 front CA bushings, 2 were completely missing and 3 were destroyed. Those front ends hide some crap that can really ruin your fun! Now my car rides like a Caddy!

·
Registered
1967 400/400
475 Posts
Here’s my 66 with UMI 1 inch drop springs a
4 wheel disk conversion from CCP with stock spindle height factory control arms bigger sway bars and a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box. 15 wheels 235/60/15 View attachment 140010 View attachment 140010
That looks just right! Hard to believe that they're dropped springs. I just installed UMI stock height and I love them. I had to actually add a 1" spacer to the rear because the front came up so much. 55 year old suspension is not good!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. I think so too, I was a little nervous about how it was going to sit but I’m happy with it.
that is perfect ride height in my opinion too. nice.
how is the ride quality? not too harsh? what shocks did you go with?
thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
KYB’s pretty gd ride Not to stiff not ready for auto cross but a decent low budget setup that gives it a much tighter feel. I think running 15 inch instead of a lower profile setup helps the overall ride quality also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! They're 17"s! I have to say, even though I never really cared for the "custom rim/ lo-pro" look IN GENERAL, I do think that it works on your car. Coincidently, the reason that I never cared for it is exactly why you don't... It never seems to fill out the wheel well. It's not just GTO's... I don't like them on Vette's, Novas, Chevelles, anything! To my brain, muscle cars had big tires, dual exhaust, hood scoops...

When I had my Trans Am they told me that it needed a 3" single exhaust to make power, and I said no way!

A GTO is no easy car to fill the wheel wells on!

As for the Global West stuff... Yeah, I think I paid 3 times what I couldve gotten stuff for on Summit. There are much cheaper options. I just started using UMI and their stuff is awesome!

Thanks. I spent about a year finding the right wheels that wouldn't look like 17s, but were. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
thanks for chiming in.
thanks for chiming in.
KYB’s pretty gd ride Not to stiff not ready for auto cross but a decent low budget setup that gives it a much tighter feel. I think running 15 inch instead of a lower profile setup helps the overall ride quality also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Went with 1" lowering from UMI. will post pics once they are in. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts