Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need some advice, please. Should I trade up for an 05 or 06, or should I stay put with my 04? Right now i am just over 1 year into a 5 year payment schedule on my 04 which I paid 24,000 for. It now has 13,600 miles on it. I have the horsepower bug that is so often mentioned on this forum and the 05's and 06's are looking pretty good. However, I don't really feel like taking it in the shorts for my 04.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Me personally, I would just not take the loss and do some mods with your car. Now, trust me- I have taken severe losses on trade ins before, so this is kind of hypocritical of me. I just can't see doing it for the same car though. I have an 05 and love it- but I also know the potential of the LS1 and if I already had one, I'd just keep it and mod it. Maybe if you were in a better financial situation with your car (ie- paid off or something) and just wanted to trade it in and get a newer one, but if you still owe, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. If you knew what my payments and amount financed for my 05 were due to a negative trade, you'd puke- so I could never in good faith recommend someone else doing the same
Joe

·
Registered
432 Posts
I would keep it. While the 05-06 are better cars, I like my 04 just fine. I'm afraid in 2 years, GTO's aren't going to be worth much. Also once the new Camaro comes out "like it or not", it will be the car everyone is talking about, and the GTO will be like, "Oh yeah I remember those." Put a Supercharger, or Turbo charger on with the money you are saving. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My guess is you haven't paid much more than interest on your current car, so you're going to be what they call "upside down" on it. Keep what you've got. 350 HP while not 400 HP is still A LOT OF POWER!

Like someone else said, wait until the Camaro or Challenger comes out and then maybe you'll be in a better position.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Unfortunately I am right there with you I am in the lower spectrum of the $5's:willy: plunked down $3500.00 w/ 4.9 gmac financing. The saddest part is I wanted the F$$king thing so bad I traded my 2000 Silverado with nice mods and got well, I am still walking with a limp :lol: Well at least I know someone at the dealership is driving around with a nice stereo system they yanked out of my truck. :cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. I knew I could get some straight answers from the forum before I did something stupid. I have never traded a vehicle off before that wasn't completely paid off, so I figured it wasn't the best idea. Thanks again!

·
Registered
140 Posts
May not be the best deal but life is short and the '06 is fast.
I work for two reasons:
1. Nice house with Garage to park my car.
2. Nice Car to drive home.

I trade every two - three years. Sometimes I buy used--often I buy new.
What matters is getting a good price for a good car.

Personally, I didn't buy the '04 GTO because just 350hp and I was driving and '03 Maraduer with 302hp that I purchased in June of '02. So what did I do? Purchased an '04 Maraduer which had a better transmission and traction control. The second year car was just put together better. Then about 3 months ago I'm looking at a review in CR and saw 400hp on the GTO and I said WHAT? Checked it out and now I am driving one. Got a good deal on the GTO but only a fair deal on the '04 Maraduer as trade. But I'm more than pleased with the GTO and my wife likes the GTO much, much better than the Marauder.

Keep looking at the '06 GTO and wait until they have either a good financing program or rebate or both and get what your heart desires. That's what I did when going from '03 to '04.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.