Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several 64 -67 GTO's, but nothing newer - I am going today to look at a '71. The story is, it's a 1 owner who drove until it began burning oil, about 200k miles. He then set it on blocks outside were it has been for about 20 years. Is there any "problem areas" besides normal rust areas I need to watch for? 455 automatic.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disappointing deal, I drive 45 miles to see it, it's NOT a 455 GTO, it is a 350 Lemans, very rusty

·
Registered
727 Posts
Look on the bright side...at least you didn't buy it sight unseen and discovered the truth when it was delivered.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I don't think I'd buy any car that had been left to rot outside for 20 years. Not unless you want to take the entire car apart to the last bolt and do a 50k resto. A pet peeve of mine are 'collectors' who own a once-nice vehicle, only to let it sit outside or in a leaking barn and rot into nothing.....all the while telling passers- by that it "ain't for sale" or "I'm gonna restore it" or, worse yet, "That there is a rare car. It's worth 40k." The car just sits, and rots into the ground, the owner gets the 'beetus, keeps drinking and eating poorly and dies off, and the car disappears and ends up in the scrap metal yard. Happens all the time!!!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I'd buy any car that had been left to rot outside for 20 years. Not unless you want to take the entire car apart to the last bolt and do a 50k resto. A pet peeve of mine are 'collectors' who own a once-nice vehicle, only to let it sit outside or in a leaking barn and rot into nothing.....all the while telling passers- by that it "ain't for sale" or "I'm gonna restore it" or, worse yet, "That there is a rare car. It's worth 40k." The car just sits, and rots into the ground, the owner gets the 'beetus, keeps drinking and eating poorly and dies off, and the car disappears and ends up in the scrap metal yard. Happens all the time!!!!!
I agree with you about a car sitting 20 years, especially outside. I went into this very cautiously, not expecting a gem but since it was represented as an all original 455 GTO I figured it was worth a look - if nothing else to save it from further decomposition. At least it wasn't too far from home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts