Pontiac GTO Forum banner

After market exhaust

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  J.E.T. 
#1 · (Edited)
My buddy at work thinks I need to upgrade my exhaust on my '06 goat but I love the sound of it stock. Is it really worth the $ for 10 hp or so, and does it really sound THAT much better? Any suggestions on brands? Borla, Corsa, Magnaflow, etc. Thanks all, am new to the tuning game. 2 more things, is a Diablo flash programmer worth the 400 bucks? and is a K&N intake worth the 250 or so?

#2 ·
On the exhaust....
I am amazed at the number of posts by people who want to modify the GTO’s exhaust. I’m with you…I think they did a fantastic job in tuning to achieve such a sweet sound from a stock system. It's relatively quiet in the cabin, but man does it rumble for anyone in your rear-view.

I had a Magnaflow catback system on my last car. It sounded mean...got lots of positive comments on it, but it was a tad too loud for me. Obviously, a subjective thing.

#4 ·
Performance gains are minimal unless you have other mods, most people like the stock exhaust but just want it louder. I have the magnaflow system because I didnt want droning. It is slightly louder cruising, louder at WOT, tame at idle, nice and burbly on decel now that they have broken in. as far as recommending a system, its all about personal taste. IMO, magnaflow+LT headers= very nice classic sound. I think the most performance gains have been had with the corsa sport though.

#5 ·
The melody the LS2 plays out of the stock exhausts is a symphony.

The SAP melody is even better.....

For me.... I see no reason to make it better... but I have to say... I have heard some really good tunes coming from modified GTO exhausts..
REALLY GOOD ONES....

I have heard some exhausts on other cars that are that loud it is annoying....

I get plenty of people ooooohing and ahhhhing over the stock exhaust.... I am happy with it.

#6 ·
I'm running the Corsa Touring system with my SW LT's. I've also got a Maggie so when you open this bad boy up you get more looks than you can imagine. The stock system is not bad but it's restrictive. The Corsa gives you nearly twice the air flow and less noise at cruise levels. It's up to you.........it's only money.

JET

#8 ·
06GeeTeeOOH said:
i think im goin corsa but whats the diff for sport package then touring package

The SAP exhaust offers a little louder, deeper, more rumbly, type sound.

You will have to get the rear facia, and the different mufflers which will have duel, duel exhausts.

To get an accurate quote, you'd have to contact the service dept at your dealer for their pricing.... Although the parts "should" be the same, labor will vary from dealer to dealer.

#9 ·
I liked the stock exhaust..but it wasn't loud enough for me. I got an x-pipe and then I did the muffler delete (sounded good, but to much drone for me at highway speeds), then I had super 40s installed (sounded very good...that nice hollow sound) and 2 months later..I got my Spintech Pro-Streets on. So far I really like the spintechs. All together I still spent way less than a actuall cat-back.

#11 ·
fattirewilly said:
You're running LTs and its quieter than stock at cruise? Any other, light weight, good flowing pipes out there that do the same?
Yep, I know it's hard to believe but at cruise it's virtually not there.........really. Just hit it a little though and it's NASCAR time.

JET

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.