Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing frame-on work on my driver and trying to plan out the exterior paint for next summer/fall, which I think is next phase of work.

Aside question, which first, interior paint or exterior paint?

Details for the exterior work:
The car is. sadly. now living in a portable garage, in the rust friendly Northeast.
I bought the car in primer 15 years ago and had a cheapo maaco job done on it to protect it a bit more, about 13 years ago.
I know I have a rust bubble on the hood, and some small areas of rot on the rear wheel wells.
Given my resources, stripping will likely be a combo of sanding and chemical stripper.

When I strip, I know to expect a significant amount of body work that needs to be done. After reading your war stories, I know the issues I see now are just the tip of the iceberg.

So the questions I have are:
Do I strip in phases, hitting the likely problem areas (wheel well, windshield, hood) first so that I minimize exposure time on the rest of the sheet metal?
After stripping, do I have days, weeks, or months to complete the body work and get in in for paint, before exposure would create new problems, or make the problems potentially worse?

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
After stripping, rust starts in minutes, not days. Had a car stripped in arid CA and treated with metal prep immediately. It took ten years, but rust came back through the paint.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree 1 panel or area at a time, immediately spray on a rust preventative after wiping clean get a coat of epoxy over the whole panel ASAP, then you can start the filler and body work on the epoxy. Epoxy provides better grip to the metal than filler, and the filler will bond better to the epoxy then bare metal and epoxy seals out any moisture.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great, thank you! I'm a little nervous to start screwing with the paint and body, but the car really needs it. And, as I've indicated on other posts, I'm can't stand to cut bait with this car any longer, I need to move forward or sell it. I just turned down an offer that was probably fair, so...onward in to murky depths I go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts