Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am new to classic cars. I ordered a PHS report on this car, and I don't see the hood tach listed. The wiring looks old, and it's not sloppily spliced. Does it not being on the report mean it was added later? Same question regarding the front disc power brakes?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
757 Posts
PHS docs are pretty accurate but not foolproof. However, the Hood Tach was a factory and dealer installed option so it may have been added later. Original hood tachs had a plug.
Disc brakes were not a dealer option but I imagine for enough money they could have been added by the dealer. The 68 would have had dual piston calipers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks! I assume it's aftermarket then along with a bunch of parts on this car, but I suppose that's the way it is if it's been restored. Looking at this pic, it does look different. I was wondering why it would be on an automatic lol.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Hard to tell. I see a plug so thats a good sign. Very clean and almost original engine compartment.
Early December Fremont built car.
If you're looking for originality, the red air cleaner decal Never came on any Pontiac. If you like it, thats cool.
You should replace the positive battery cable though. That battery post clamp is designed for quick repairs and has a tendency to corrode over time causing starting problems.
All the major vendors have the correct cable for about $50.

We need to see more pictures of your car!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ordered mine with a hood tach but the dealer actually cut hole in the hood and installed it. It was also ordered with a RAM AIR IV which it was delivered with but only said RAM AIR on the hood.. I believe the dealer also installed the 8 track or the clock-can't remember which. I was there when it arrived at the dealership-FWIW Paul

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Thanks, Ed! I am peeling that off. I like the look of clean chrome a lot more than an ugly sticker. I'll take your advice on those wires as well. It's not my car yet. The deposit is down and we're renegotiating the price, but any help in that direction is appreciated! We're at $38k, and I'm trying to go to $35.
The prices at these "consignment flippers" are usually high, and it's buyer beware when I read "small block" engine.

Image 38 of the car shows a rough and poorly repaired lower valence.

Image 98 has what looks like some funky brake line work. Assume the car is 4-wheel drums. It did not mention disc brakes (factory or aftermarket) and I could not tell from the pics, but the disc brake option was not highlighted. The '68 I owned in my youth had non-power drums as these were standard items. The lines don't look correct and the power booster may have been added.

Overall, looks like a driver. $35K would in my opinion seem a better price, but I would want to know that the engine has been freshened up at an assumed 124,000 miles.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Well, you asked for help and this is what I see

If you look at the dash photos you'll notice the wiper knob is at an angle. This is an indication of the wrong wiper switch from the base Tempest being applied. The wiper blades do not park below the windshield which is another indication. Not surprising since the correct switch (for recessed wipers) is about $65 or more.
I'm concerned about the corrosion around the trunk opening.
Front drivers fender has either been replaced or repaired. GTO emblem is crooked which means new holes were drilled
For the money they're asking it should have a factory radio with an uncut dash. The dash should have been replated with the lower section painted.
Carpet...
Rusty seat belt chrome
Radio antenna mounted sideways.
The fan shroud needs replacing.
The passenger door is a mess. Weatherstripping is terrible, Door panel and emblems not applied correctly. Paint bubbles on the front door frame.
Hard to believe it has the original Spiral Shocks in the rear. They usually gave out within a year or so of use. (that would be 1969) Makes me wonder what the rest of the suspension looks like.
I do see disc brakes.
As Jim says, what condition is the engine in? Any records? Matching numbers? If not, then the engine could have any amount of miles on it. Encouraging sign is the Pass side cylinder head has a mid November 67 date on it which coincides with your build date which may mean an original engine.
None of these items are show stoppers and can be repaired/replaced

But DO...
1. Pull the carpet and look at the floorboards
2. Pull the trunk mat and look under
3. Put it on a lift and inspect the suspension bushings for cracking and wear. Wear marks on the lower A arms where they could be rubbing the frame.
4. Check the frame for cracks particularly the drivers front
5. Check for matching numbers on your engine. I'd deduct 10% if they aren't.

Depending on what you find you could still be looking at up to $10K or more for engine, suspension and interior work. As I see the car, I wouldn't pay more than $27K for it. If the engine is fresh add another 5K. maybe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! Really appreciate you guys looking it over and all the details!

Numbers match on entire drivetrain which is good but no paperwork on anything. Bushings are trash. Part of front passenger frame cut witch sheers which is very strange. Not sure what I’m doing so bought it for 35. Not sure if I’ve made a huge mistake but I’m excited to see what I’ve got myself into!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts