Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased the Champion aluminum radiator with the flat shroud and 2 electric fans for my 69 GTO. The radiator fits in the lower supports, and I have it temporarily wired to the upper core support while I consider an upper and lower support that supplants the stock ABS fan shroud that held the stock radiator in place. So far I haven't been successful in adapting any system. Has anyone else experienced this? I could have used the large fan shroud, but it seems defeating and just looks bulky. I am about to design my own solution.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
i have a Champion and the top mount uses the rubber isolater's for the Factory air cars larger radiator. i have clutch fan with largest shroud so i wouldn't know on the elec. shroud, but rule of thumb for the clutch fan is blades halfway in the shroud.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
I had a similar problem fitting an aftermarket radiator into my '69. What I wound up doing was to set it into the original lower rubber brackets/shoes and I fabricated some sheet metal holders that I fit the upper rubber shoes from the original fan shroud into. I trimmed off the upper edge of the core support so that the radiator would lie flat up against the core support, then I used those pieces I made to hold the upper part of the radiator. Those holders I made have bolt holes in each end. One end bolts to the core support, the other end fits onto one of the bolts that holds the metal fan shroud to the back of the radiator. I cut a length of rubber pipe insulation wrap that goes over the sharp edge of the core support (where I cut it). It "cleans up" the appearance of that edge and also cushions the top of the radiator so it doesn't constantl bang against the core support.

If you want details, I can take some photos.

Bear

EDIT: In fact, if you watch the video I recently shot and posted, there are some pretty good views that show how I treated the top of the radiator in the car. You can even tell that I haven't (yet) pulled off the plastic strips on the pipe insulation that cover the adhesive. The views are at about 21 seconds into the video, and again at 1:49. Here's that link again:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts