Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Aftermarket audio head unit?

I'm very interested in an '05 GTO, but I notice that navigation isn't an option. As such I'd like to have an aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-N2 installed. When I look at the Crutchfield website I get the following

Modified Fit - Requires Modification

Installation Details for your 2005 GTO

» Caution! You will need to modify your vehicle to install this product. We strongly recommend contacting a Crutchfield Sales Advisor to discuss your installation and your options. Modifications may include cutting wires, plastic, or metal, and may include fabricating brackets, panels, or other parts, and the installation instructions or guides we may be including do not cover these modifications. Once your vehicle has been modified, it may not be possible to return it to the factory specs or appearance.
» You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver.
Anyone know exactly what is involved here?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Probably a lot, but I know one guy in VA has a Black 05 with a touch screen deck/navi in place of the stock unit. Looks clean, so it can be done.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N2

I have the Pioneer AVIC-N1 (only difference is software) installed in my 04. It fits nicely with the dash kit. I had the dealership install it before I took the car. It leaves a little tray underneath. If you are interested, I will post pics.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Kochilin said:
I have the Pioneer AVIC-N1 (only difference is software) installed in my 04. It fits nicely with the dash kit. I had the dealership install it before I took the car. It leaves a little tray underneath. If you are interested, I will post pics.
Please do. I've been interested in such a thing as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kochilin said:
VERY interested.

I'd also be interested to hear what the dealer charged you for the install and how you went about having them do it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do it, I'm interested as well. I'd like the ease of an aftermarket deck and add a nice JL sub to the mix and run all of my highs to my speakers, seems the speakers aren't bad stock, just the lows running to them right now makes them sound like ass.

B

·
0 Posts
you know, to fix that you can get a capacitor. I would recomment a 250hz one on the fronts to see if it cancels out enough lows. If not you can go to maybe 6 or 800hz one. The best part? They cost about .45 each.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I've got the Kenwood flip screen with nav in my car. Stereo shop installed, very clean but pricey.

JET

D

·
0 Posts
need pics been watching pioneer touchscreen on ebay but didnt know if they would fit

·
Registered
32 Posts
AVIC-N1 (or N2)

Here it is closed and then one open. A little tray was put in to fill the lower DIN. When open, it does block the AC/Heater controls, but if it were installed in the lower DIN, you would punch it when shifting. Any other questions, feel free to ask. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Kenwood looks virtually identical to his...........cost about a grand more however.

JET

B

·
0 Posts
thats wild as SHYT that you can get your gauges to show in the display !!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
There's the Alpine CVA D-900 and for the navigation you only need one cd for the whole country instead of two like other brands, it's an outdated model becasue the D-901 came out but It was the best in its class when it first came out you could probobly find one on ebay brand new still in the box for about $1200 and thats a deal I got one installed in my Denali and payed $2200 installed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pioneer vs Anyone else

I used to be a hardcore Alpine guy, but their Nav is garbage. Go to your local stereo shop and look at them side-by-side. The Pioneer is FAR superior to the Kenwood or the Alpine. Function and usability are outstanding. My personal advice is get the AVIC-N1 not the AVIC-N2. The N1 can be bypassed to work while driving (grounding out the parking brake connector) and the N2 uses a gyro and cannot be used while driving. The N1 with N2 software will also be unusable while driving (personal experience here fellas). Just my opinion, go see for yourself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts