Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our first snowfall here in SE Wisconsin today. I decided to put the Blizzaks/steel rims on the Grand Am today, since those Direzzas are summer only. The salt is on the roads, and my DD has a crust of ice on it behind the wheel wells. My GTO has been in my grandmothers' garage for almost two weeks now, and I'm already having withdrawals.

I hope I get a chance to go snowmobiling this winter... I'll be needing an acceleration fix one way or another.

Sorry, I just had to rant.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
I just had installed on my wife's GA, Goodyear GT's. She has high praise on these tires, no more slipping on wet roads. The handling she said is fantastic. She loves em. With the aggressive tread I expect them to handle real well in the snow. The OEM tires never let her down so I would expect even better handling for her. 100 each delivered from Discount Tire.

With the way the weather has been this spring, summer, and fall I am not expecting to take the goats out much until March.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't like the way the OEM GY Eagles behaved in the rain, and I thought the snow was going to be even worse, so I got some base 15" steel rims off of an Alero from a local junk yard (you gotta love that N-body parts availability) and my Blizzaks (WS-15's... they don't make them anymore) off of Craigslist for I think $40 a piece used a few years back, with 10/32" of tread left on them. They work amazing on ice and in deep snow, the only thing that stops them is when you really start plowing snow with the front bumper, but 8" of virgin snow is no problem.

The only thing I don't like about them is that there is a noticed power loss, and my mileage drops by almost 10%. More rotational mass, perhaps.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I wish I had my water cooled intercooler GTO working.
I tell you what it feels good too. Having 30-40 degree air blowing across the heat exchanger and in the intake with cold pavement makes it fun.

Its been snowing around us, hope it stays that way.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Blizzard warnings till tomorrow night.
We only have about 6" out of the deal. Had to stop plowing for a little while. Started snowing hard again. I think most of it is lake affect now and that shouldn't last very long according to the radar. Windy tho! You probably have more, eh Rukee?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
The only thing good if there is anything good about snow and ice is I am forced NOT to drive the GTOs.
So for the '70....... A refinishing of the underside of the hood is in order along with ...On goes a new RA III system Electronic Ignition and a tune up along with new fluids and as soon as the roads are free of salt baby gets a new set of shoes.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got about 12" here... lots of drifting and blowing snow too. Very windy. Good thing the GTO is in a heated garage :)

Boy those Blizzaks sure do shine in this weather... I have yet to get stuck.

·
Registered
192 Posts
i have family in iowa and just got off the phone they said they got hit with 15-16 inches and all of des moines is closed down haha included schools. Worst snow storm since 96 they said....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts