Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yep, looks like a 65-66 GTO 4-Barrel Louvered Air Cleaner to me too. Opening is 4 1/8 isn't it. Don't no about the corvette I don't talk chevy..If you have a AMES catalog you can see one in it. They repro them.. Les

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed with others...65-66 GTO 4bbl pancake style air cleaner cover. And yes, it was compatible with the Corvette...60-61, possibly the late 50's models also but I can't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Walt, I agree on the years of use. I was once TOLD that some were chromed and sone were polished stainless steel. I don't know if this is true or not. Nice piece of equipment either way! 67 also. Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Vette single four carb air cleaners looked similar but are not the same for any year. If you have one they are worth a good bit more than the Pontiac units.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
They were all chrome, the Vette as well as GTO. The '65-'66 GTO's had the small base hole like FNG69 stated. This was for the Carter AFB carb. The '67 units used the same exact chrome top, but had a larger diameter hole in the bottom plate for the Q-jet. The top piece in '65, '66, and '67 is the same unit for the 335 HP cars. To me, it looks like '65-'66 GTO is what you have pictured here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again. I'll have to check on the Vette forum. Did the ink stamps have any codes on them to tell a date?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Joe

Wouldn't the Vette that early have a Carter carb on it?
Yes the Vette did have that type of carb but the cleaner was similiar but different (as I recall it was the base that was different). Many years ago I had such a Vette and purchased a '65 GTO cleaner only to be burned at a several NCRS shows. Paid good bucks for that cleaner but finally had to sell it to a GTO owner to get some of my money back. Of course now I don't have that Vette but a single four '66 GTO that came with a K&N filter. Go figure.:willy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts