Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy gang!
I just got in my shiny new opgi after market air cleaner.
On initial install the whole assembly was moving a tad as I floored the accelerator pedal.
Adding a second gasket to the top of the carb. solved that problem (for now).
A part of the throttle linkage at the top of the carb actually put a small dent in the bottom of the cleaner.
I realize I can add another gasket as a shim , but I'm wondering what these "indents" in the bottom are for?
thanks as always
ps vegas was gruelling..............Hi Uncles E and Gee:cheers
:party:

Attachments

·
Registered
704 Posts
indents are to clear obstructions with linkages, dist, etc. Why did you get the one with the deep dish instead of the more common flatter one?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
TK !...either add more gasket thickness, get a different base, or alter the carb linkage!!!!! before something bad happens (LIKE YOUR THROTTLE STICKS OPEN!!) Safety issue...UE

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the only thing hitting as far as I can see is the ,whatever it is pump on the top drivers side of the carb. adding a 2nd gasket solved it but in going to "beat on it a tad" with a small ball pean and remove the 2nd gasket.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Ok, just be careful...the extra gaskets won't hurt anything. The "pump" you are talking about is probably the accelerator pump.....E

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was slightly hitting in 2 places, one on a vertical rod near the front d. side one on the p. side rear linkage.
My wife, who is in her own way a genius came out and put some very small dabs of PEANUT BUTTER on the offending pieces. It was thena simple matter of persuasion with a small ball pean.........nothing even close now!!!!!
something to be said for innovation!

·
RIP (12/27/60-7/18/15)
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:cheers
too funny
ironic tho that you would mention that U E..........
Ive been informed we are off to see " Puss in boots" today
:cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts