Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am looking into air driers for my compressor. I have one which drains the tank at shut down when it reaches max pressure. I Need one for the air as I use the air from the tank.

My question is, what recommendations would you guys make on what to get? A desiccant drier, silica drier, oil removal filter? What brand or models have you had success with? Harbor freight has one for $70 while I found "brand names" much higher even thought they look like the same unit.

For the moment I plan to use the compressor for jobs around the house including on cars. I'm also looking to do some sand blasting and don't want the sand to get clogged in the blasting gun any more like it does on hot muggy days here.

Thanks in advance for any help, Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,859 Posts
Definitely one of those 'you get what you pay for' situations here. A lot depends on what you're going to do with the air. For a serious paint job, you need a serious system. Running air tools, not so much. If you want to do both it can get tricky, because for air tools you may want an oil mister in the system to lubricate the tools but you sure don't want oil in your painting air supply. You've also got to think about your supply lines themselves - material, length, slope --- but you probably already know all that.
That said, I ran two main air feeds off my compressor. One leg had a "normal" moisture trap + air tool lubricator on it, something like this:
EW Lubricator/Filter/Regulator System 1/2 NPT
I use this for everything except painting, including running my blasting cabinet.

For my painting leg, I ponied up for one of these:
Sharpe Dryaire Desiccant System, Model# 6760 | Air Compressor Dryers| Northern Tool + Equipment
The next step up from that would be this:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SHA0/6770/N0693.oap?ck=Search_N0693_-1_-1&pt=N0693&ppt=C0369

I reckon the Sharpe would also be good for blasting, but I'm not keen on having to replace the desiccant in the big cartridge that often.

For really serious air drying, you can get a refrigeration system but those also get into some serious coin.
http://www.sharpe1.com/sharpe/sharpe.nsf/Page/Refrigerated+Air+Dryers

Bear

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the very great information Bear! An Eastwood shop opened 5 minutes from my house last week!!! Hopefully hey have a grand opening sale.

Too bad they weren't there last summer when I did my wheels and such, now I can get tools and paint "today" instead of waiting for shipping!!

I'm leaning toward a better drier for my "regular" work and an even better one later down the road if I do any painting, which I'm not going to do just yet.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts