Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and girls!),
I haven't had my Goat for that long and I only have 300 miles on it.
But, it seems to me that the A/C doesn't get as cold as I would expect.
Granted, I have driven it on some hot days but it still seems like even at night
it's not freezing me out even on high...Has anyone experienced this potential
problem? Could coolant levels be down from the ride over from the land down
under?...It's not something I'd take it back to the dealer for, but I am curious.
Thanks in advance for your input...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've noticed the same thing in mine, and that was one of the questions I was going to post regarding what I should expect from the car. My 2001 Z-71 will freeze you out on 2 even on the hottest days. Granted, I've only got a couple hundred miles on the GTO, but every time I've driven it I've had to turn the air up to 3 or even 4, and even then my back gets kinda sweaty against the seats. Is this normal for these cars? I like the a/c to spit ice cubes in my face.

KB

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is odd I find this to be the coldest A/C I ever felt in any car I mean I put mine on 1 and I am still freezing my arse off. There is one drawback to the A/C it seems to take longer to get to optimal temperature then todays average cars. It almost reminds me of the older freon systems where the things took 15 minutes to get ICE cold.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmm. I have to say, I've been wondering about my AC too--my 01 Z-28 I had prior to this car could produce some reasonably cold air, but the GTO I have to crank to 3-4 or put on the recirculated AC setting a lot. I've thought maybe it's just because it's been getting pretty warm around here lately, but it still seems odd.

Then again, I make mostly short trips (10-20 minutes drive) so maybe that's part of the deal--it doesn't get so much a time to get up to speed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have you noticed how hot it gets inside the GTO? More than any other car!
Even when its only 70 degrees outside, when you side in a GTO it can be scorching hot!!

Even a mildly warm day I'd sit in the car and literally say "MAN WHY IS IT SO HOT IN HERE??" lol.
It's not nearly as bad with other cars.....maybe its my imagination.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My GTO is very cold. It was 95 hear this week and I was running the temp dial at 11 o'clock. Do you have the amber light on? The little button insdie the dial must be pressed in and the light on for the a/c compressor to be working.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If your compressor is clicking, definately get the dealer to look at it. You can wiggle the not-so-cold AC in at the same time to see what they say :D

I definately have my AC switch on. With no AC on whatsoever, the car would be unbearable inside; with the AC on, it is tolerable after it has time to cool down, but the AC is just not cold like I would expect from a modern car.

I think one of the things is it seems like the motor that blows air into the interior does not operate at too high a speed. Even at the highest setting, there is about as much force to the air coming out of the vents as I generally feel on a middle-high (like 3 out of 4) on some other cars.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is kinda strange. I think that my GOAT has the coldest air of any car that I have ever had. Even when it is 100+ degrees here in Texas, I usually run the air on 1, and I sometimes have to turn the temperature knob up a little just to keep from freezing. :lol: Of course I have the LS1, so maybe that makes a difference...I would have the dealer check it out...Maybe the factory settings could be "tweaked" a little bit. :confused

·
Registered
344 Posts
I’m not happy with my 05 AC at all. Its not the coldest AC in the world and the compressor makes a clicking noise when it engages. Also Compressor has growled or wined from day one, even after they fixed it. I have appointment Monday for new Compressor @ dealer. Hope I don’t regret having it worked on again!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
The A/C on my 05 works fine in the heat and humidity of Louisiana. Does take about 5 minutes to get real cold tho but down here that is about normal.

The clicking sound you guys are hearing is the compressor clutch engaging and disengaging. Completely normal. A whinning or growling compressor is not normal- see your dealer. -Jim

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting...I'm a bit surprised at the number of folks that have noticed
the same thing I have...At least I know I'm not completely nuts...I guess
it's something to keep tabs on. As said by others, I guess I just expected
an A/C unit that would freeze you out if it was on high for too long like most
modern cars. Doesn't change anything though...I STILL LOVE MY GTO!:cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
GibsonUSA said:
Have you noticed how hot it gets inside the GTO? More than any other car!
Even when its only 70 degrees outside, when you side in a GTO it can be scorching hot!!

Even a mildly warm day I'd sit in the car and literally say "MAN WHY IS IT SO HOT IN HERE??" lol.
It's not nearly as bad with other cars.....maybe its my imagination.

I was thinking the same thing. I think its because the roof is so small and the long back window and large front and side glass area. Plus mine has black interior, which absorbs heat. But the day I bought mine it was like 99 degrees and humid as heck, and after driving 35 miles home from the dealer with the A/C on high and in the recirculate position, I thought damn, am I in a Pacer or what? I felt like I was in a microwave.
Maybe being brand new, the A/C system needs to cycle a few times before it reaches it's peak efficiency???

KB

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've got an '05, and I have to run the temperature at around 11:00 otherwise it freezes you out.

Also, the "clicking" you hear is the clutch engaging the compressor. It is normal, although it's more noticeable when the temperature is set moderately, forcing the clutch to engage and disengage the compressor more often.

My car's Black, so it does take a few minutes for it to cool down the inside after being parked in 95 degree sun.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MJGTOWISH said:
I am really surprised that this is an issue since the car came from one of the hottest place around:confused
:agree My thoughts exactly...That's why I was curious if it was just me or
what...I gotta admit that I did have to turn the air down last night when I
was driving, but then again it was cool enough to ride with the windows down
anyway (which I did finally)...Still have my concerns abouth the A/C's operation on those 98 degree days with 60% humidity! For such a relatively small interior
area I would/do expect more efficient cooling. Oh yeah, did I mention that
I love my GTO anyway?

·
Registered
29 Posts
mine is by far the coldest ac ive ever had it was 85 outside and i put a thermometer in the vent and on cold/rec and got 36 degree fer. air and other people have said how cold it is very rarely do i run it on the coldest setting

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with the coldest, I have noticed that once your car gets up to operating temperature 20 minutes or so, the A/C definately gets cold. I have also noticed that if you accelerate at an extremely high rate the a/c compressor turns off and blows neutral air. <- Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's only been in the mid-80s here this week so not too much work for the a/c. But a trip to Fresno with 100+ temps gave it a good work out and it kept me nice and chilly. I've noticed the GTO's a/c isn't as bone chilling cold as my 2 other GM cars. I can't keep the temp on max cold in them for long as they'll freeze my arms.

·
Registered
388 Posts
madkat said:
I agree with the coldest, I have noticed that once your car gets up to operating temperature 20 minutes or so, the A/C definately gets cold. I have also noticed that if you accelerate at an extremely high rate the a/c compressor turns off and blows neutral air. <- Has anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed that too, and had the same thought you do about it. Then, I got to wondering if it was just the fact that I was forcing a lot more ouside air in.

Even in this heat (probably about 95 or so and 300% humidity :willy: ) On recirculate and full blast, I cool down within a couple minutes, after that I have to normally run it on the lowest setting. If the sun is high and beating down directly on my black dash, I do have to crank it up a bit more, but it is still one of the best AC's I've ever had in a car.

I'd have it checked out just to make sure you have enough refrigerent in it.

Gerry

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.