Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to restore a 66 GTO. Thought this would be a good place to document the journey.
The car was in Mississippi for most of it's life and then transferred to Illinois. I found it tucked away in a garage, where it had been sitting for 15 plus years.
Day 1 August 25, 2018

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Wow, nice find and looks like a very solid foundation. Looking forward to watching your restoration, Congrats and best of luck, nice to see a family with a project.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please DO keep us updated. This is a build I want to follow, for sure. It looks like your level of enthusiasm and desire to dive right in is superb, and I cannot wait to see what is next!

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Great start , keep at it, we know it can get overwhelming when you have everything apart like that, make sure to bag, tag and catalog all bolts and washers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Washer for certain. This looks like a great project. I did my 66 back in the mid 70's when I was just a teenager. My Dad had three wrecked cars, all 66's, one a convertible. I used the convertible frame because it was made stiffer. We had no powder coating back then. I sandblasted the frame, and for some unknown reason decided to paint it Rustoleum white. (!!!) I was only 15 so that's my excuse. my family had a road building business, so I worked summers in the shop. Had access to amazing tools and shop resources. Anyway, keep us posted - this is bringing back great memories.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m behind on posting, we have been turning wrenches. Allot of progress this month. The trunk floor is in and we started to do the floor when the mig welder broke. So switched to the drivetrain. The frame came back from the powercoat company, and needed a redo. So small delay. Also found a motor and trans in Indiana, 5 hour road trip later, we have a drivetrain.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts