Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
64-67 Expert
8,840 Posts
Good luck. In over 45 years with these cars, I have seen ONE first-gen GTO with the headrests (which also includes the reclining passenger seat).

You might try the PY forums, as they have a huge base and a lot of old-timers with parts, etc. Or the internet. IIRC, there is a repro retrofit kit available, or was, but it is not the same as the original units.

·
Registered
‘66 GTO convertible 389ci Tri-power
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m grateful for the direction. Appears they make the correct ones, but only in black. I’ll jump in this per your suggestions. Many thanks!!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
the repros DO NOT accept vinyl paint very well ..... and the piping and size are not correct,,,
if your familiaar with originals ,,, it fairly obvious
WAIT
and SAVE for correct originals,....
I have had a few sets over the years,,, 50 50 on mated with recliner seat ....
66 and 67 ,,,,
they also are the same from 66 67 toronado Impala GP riviera etc even the strato bench

Scott

·
Registered
‘66 GTO convertible 389ci Tri-power
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott-I’m thinking of having the correct black stock headrests reupholstered as it’s my understanding the correct vinyl material is available. As far as the piping is concerned, can that be custom made to your knowledge? I’m certainly prepared to wait and actually purchase two current GTO seats with headrests so I can have those reupholstered.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Scott-I’m thinking of having the correct black stock headrests reupholstered as it’s my understanding the correct vinyl material is available. As far as the piping is concerned, can that be custom made to your knowledge? I’m certainly prepared to wait and actually purchase two current GTO seats with headrests so I can have those reupholstered.
As far as the piping, I am not sure of the size, but upholstery shops can make different sizes. I bought material only for a project on my 67 from OPGI, not sure if Legendary sells it that way also.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
You'll likely not find a decent set of used in parchment due to age.
If you've ever seen/held an OE headrest you would realize that trying to recover them would be a major PITA.
IMHO your best bet and likely the only option over used, would be to get the Repro Black set and Dye them.

The vinyl dyes work great on seat covers, Door panels, etc. so it's safe to say the headrest would be a snap.
It was used on a few trim pieces of this '66 Sports Coupe.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Car seat cover

Car Motor vehicle Car seat cover Vehicle Automotive design

1 - 8 of 8 Posts