Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Almost there

742 Views 27 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  RMTZ67
Hey all,

Is there a torque spec for the fastners that are used to secure the flexplate to the torque convertor? Can't seem to find a specific number online.

Also, what's the best way to prime my fuel system for initial break in. Almost everytime I pour gas down the carb I get a small fire.
Reactions: 1
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
I've only installed a few in my day but that's probably what will end up happening. I woke up sick today so I'm a day behind on progress.
  • Sad
Reactions: 2
I must be the only one that slapped the starter in, and off I went.
Sometimes you have to just send it
Reactions: 3
I've only installed a few in my day but that's probably what will end up happening. I woke up sick today so I'm a day behind on progress.
The mini starter I used needed all the shims it came with to meet the tolerances outlined by the instructions (yes, I do read those sometimes). It was super tight gear to gear without to the point where it wouldn't disengage.
Had to pull the ground off the battery one time after installing a stock Pontiac starter and what a s&it show that turned into. It kept cranking while the gear was engaged .

Had to change the flex plate and the spark that jumped that cable when I pulled it was impressive .

You can bump the solinoid only and see if it sticks if you can’t get to it any other way.
I also installed a mini starter and clocked the solenoid away from the manifold, no Shims needed. :unsure:
I also installed a mini starter and clocked the solenoid away from the manifold, no Shims needed. :unsure:
The shims have nothing to do with clocking the starter. I did the same on mine. The shims go between the starter and the engine block to either move the starter gear tighter to the fly wheel (use less or no shims) or you add shims to move it further away. Having the right gear mesh is important for a few reasons. Too tight and your starter gear may stay engaged after you stop turning the key. Too loose and you will prematurely wear out the flywheel and/or starter gear teeth. A feeler gauge is the best way to get this right.

One thing not mentioned in this thread yet. I had to cut the corner off of the bell housing dust cover to use the mini starter. The starter would not fit with the dust cover running behind it like it does for a factory style starter.
The shims have nothing to do with clocking the starter. I did the same on mine. The shims go between the starter and the engine block to either move the starter gear tighter to the fly wheel (use less or no shims) or you add shims to move it further away. Having the right gear mesh is important for a few reasons. Too tight and your starter gear may stay engaged after you stop turning the key. Too loose and you will prematurely wear out the flywheel and/or starter gear teeth. A feeler gauge is the best way to get this right.

One thing not mentioned in this thread yet. I had to cut the corner off of the bell housing dust cover to use the mini starter. The starter would not fit with the dust cover running behind it like it does for a factory style starter.
That is a good point. I forgot to install the dust cover on the last go around. I couldn't get the gear to engage to check the clearance so I put 1 shim (what I had last time, but I have a new flexplate) seems to be the same size. I'm going to give it a dry run and make adjustments if needed.

Ya I know, clocking was just for information. Don't remember having to modify the cover either :unsure: been a while tho.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts