Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to the ALMS race this weekend at Mid-Ohio? Look us up at the Panoz Racing garage area. Our friend is GM for Panoz Racing (we actually met when we were the Coke liaison and he was communications manager for the Olive Garden/Team Rafanelli in 2001-2002). Great racing series.

·
Registered
364 Posts
ronaldvetteron said:
Anyone going to the ALMS race this weekend at Mid-Ohio? Look us up at the Panoz Racing garage area. Our friend is GM for Panoz Racing (we actually met when we were the Coke liaison and he was communications manager for the Olive Garden/Team Rafanelli in 2001-2002). Great racing series.
I went last year, but unfortunately can't make it this year. SPEED World Challenge and ALMS are two of my favorite racing series.

Hope you have a great weekend. :cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
yep I was there with Autosport Development /Trenton Forging ...awesome weekend........ The GTO did well....finished 9th in the GT class........

·
Registered
364 Posts
WIKID 04 said:
yep I was there with Autosport Development /Trenton Forging ...awesome weekend........ The GTO did well....finished 9th in the GT class........
Congrats to the team. That is a very respectible outing in a tough class. :cheers

I was happy to hear that John Heinricy, who I've raced against in SCCA T1 numerous times stepped into a factory CTS-V and finished 2nd.

I think I'm going to find the time to watch this one on TV. You have any idea when SPEED is going to air it?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
That is awesome. Love that AD car!

Got this special intel from a buddy of mine...does it ring true?

I spent some time with the GTO crew this weekend at Mid Ohio, and gleaned a few tidbits about their program.

The most important being they are readying a second car, and will have it at the Cleveland race. This is important as it will double their ammount of development info.

They are very pleased with the suspension and handling of the car. I would have to agree after seeing it in the twisties at Mid Ohio. It is as good as the best and better than most in the turns. They did get help in this area from Holden, hence the Holden decal in the back window. The car uses the rear center section and suspension pick-up points of the '06 CV8, which has a 5 link setup. This eliminates the bump steer issues with the current setup. All the other stuff is fabricated by them, even the rear uprights and axle shafts, as the Holden stuff is designed for endurance racing and is too heavy.

Now that the suspension is making them happy, they are moving on to engine development. They said that right now their biggest problem is lack of power, and the fact that they are the "red headed step child" of GM's road racing program in North America. Apparently the Cadillac team gets first priority on new development stuff from the secret inner sanctum at the GM engine skunk works.

So things seem to be looking up for the GTO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Subdriver said:
Congrats to the team. That is a very respectible outing in a tough class. :cheers

I was happy to hear that John Heinricy, who I've raced against in SCCA T1 numerous times stepped into a factory CTS-V and finished 2nd.

I think I'm going to find the time to watch this one on TV. You have any idea when SPEED is going to air it?
MAY 28th 3pm on SPEED TV

·
Registered
26 Posts
Groucho said:
That is awesome. Love that AD car!

Got this special intel from a buddy of mine...does it ring true?
You know me as ROCKOS GTO on the other brd.

Well YES and NO.... its not from an '06 CV8. I cant remember what the race name was but the Holden built 2 cars for the endurance race,they won the race then dismantled the cars. and the rearend were just sitting there. so they picked them up , and made there own modification to them. They do get some insite help from Holden, but they are working with Pontiac right now too. But things are getting better every race. If your buddy was there, I probably met him, since I was with them all weekend long.

Rock

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We had a great time. A good friend of ours is GM for the Panoz team so we spent Saturay and Sunday with Ed in the garage and trailer. We used to be with Ed when he was communications and marketing manager for Gabriel Raffaneli's Olive Garden team in ALMS (I was the executive liaison to the team for Coke). Ed was talking about the GTO. He likes the GTO and he loves the LS1/2 series engine as he was with the Suntrust Team in GrandAm last year and knows a fair bunch about the engine and its potential. In fact, he said that there is lots more coming for this because of the GrandAM. As an aside, our 21 year-old son, recent NASCAR Tech grad, is in the running to wrench on the #51 Panoz car in ALMS. We hope this comes through as it is a great job and incredible resume material.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts