Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at aluminum radiators with either 1 or 2 electric fans. Question is, there has to be a temperature sensor to turn on/off the fan? These sensors are not offered on the listings I seen. I believe the sensor would turn on a relay to put voltage to the fans? Fans run 80Watts each (7amps):surprise:

·
Registered
24 Posts
No need to have electric fans

If you buy a good aluminum replacement rad you will not need to add electric fans . That is if you are running a stock or near stock engine .

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
Yes, there are temperature switches to control the fans. Every company is different though, some don't include them with the radiator and fans which means you have to buy the wiring, switch, and relays as an extra kit. Go figure.

Bear

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, there are temperature switches to control the fans. Every company is different though, some don't include them with the radiator and fans which means you have to buy the wiring, switch, and relays as an extra kit. Go figure.

Bear
Tx Bear. The radiator seller found some on ebay "Derale 16738 Premium Single Stage 180 Degree F Fan Controller with Push In Probe"

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had an electric, i installed a becool radiator , custom fan shroud and a flex fan fitted to the shroud and ditched the fan, runs right around 165-170.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had an electric, i installed a becool radiator , custom fan shroud and a flex fan fitted to the shroud and ditched the fan, runs right around 165-170.
Yep, that's what I am thinking. Did you have a single fan or dual fans?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm running a 72 LeMans with a very mild 400. I have a Summit house brand aluminum radiator with dual DeRale fans and a Painless PWM fan controller. The controller uses a coolant temp sensor, which I put in the intake coolant passage. I set the fans to come on at 195, the controller starts them sequentially and at 50% speed, and ramps them up as temperature goes up. I've never seen temps over maybe 205, and that was on a hot day while stepping on it. Typically 195 is the highest I'll see for normal driving, and fans turn off around 190 (I run a 180 thermostat so it doesn't fight with the controller, but on the highway in like 70 or below weather temp will ride the thermostat at 180).

Debated intially about going with the DeRale controller, but decided I liked a temp sensor in the coolant instead of the push in style. The DeRale controller starts the fans at 0% and ramps up with temperature, which I liked better than the Painless controller that starts at 50%. But the temp sensor is what made the decision for me, and after some teething problems and a replacement controller (the first one I got was faulty, they sent me a new one free of charge) I'm happy with how the system operates.

Mounting the radiator was interesting because it isn't an exact fit in the factory location, so I had to get creative. But it's worked well for three years now, so I'm happy. There other brands that sell aluminum radiators that are more of a direct fit, and/or come with mounting brackets to take away the creativity I had to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts