Discussion Starter #1
Constants:
TG 18 // Total Gallon Capacity of GTO
MPY 15000 // Miles Per Year
MPG 17 // Miles Per Gallon

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"87"
1.87 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
33.66 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)
306 // Total Miles (MPG * TG)

49.01960784 // Number of Fill Ups Per Year (MPY / Total Miles)
1650 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)
"89"
1.95 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
35.10 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)

1720.588235 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)
"93"
2.03 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
36.54 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)

49.01961 // Number of Fill Ups Per Year (MPY / Total Miles)
1791.176 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)

As you can see, we don't exactly drive hybrids however I for one will never cheat the car by fueling it with 89 (I'll forget those who posted they have used 87); if you can't afford the additional $70 a year or $6 a month for gas there is absolutely no reason what so ever you should even be driving this or any car for that matter! $6 are you kidding me?

Whew, I feel better now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Lets see, GM says that it doesn't matter, so I run 87, you run 93. I save $141 a year, which is 75 gallons of gas, or 4 tanks, or better still 1275 miles. That means that I get one month of free gas compared to using 93. This is all based on your mpg numbers etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sboylan said:
Constants:
TG 18 // Total Gallon Capacity of GTO
MPY 15000 // Miles Per Year
MPG 17 // Miles Per Gallon

"87"
1.87 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
33.66 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)

1650 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)
"89"
1.95 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
35.10 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)

1720.588235 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)
"93"
2.03 // Current Gas Price (Indiana)
36.54 // Cost to Fill Tank (TG * Current Gas Price)

49.01961 // Number of Fill Ups Per Year (MPY / Total Miles)
1791.176 // Annual Fuel Cost (Cost to Fill Tank * Number of Fill Ups)

As you can see, we don't exactly drive hybrids however I for one will never cheat the car by fueling it with 89 (I'll forget those who posted they have used 87); if you can't afford the additional $70 a year or $6 a month for gas there is absolutely no reason what so ever you should even be driving this or any car for that matter! $6 are you kidding me?

Whew, I feel better now.
:agree Finally someone posted this. There are also more benificial fuel additives in the higher octane fuels to keep your injectors clean.

·
Registered
63 Posts
zone 5 said:
GM says that it doesn't matter, so I run 87
You are correct in saying "It doesn't matter" to a point. Yes the car will run on 87 but it will run better on the higher octane. The reason being is the car is equipped with a computer system that will retard timing and adjust fuel trims to match the fuel you are running. Whenever you retard the timing you loose HP and performance which also results in lower MPG figures. The higher octane fuels also contain a much better additive mix for maintaining the fuel system. So even though you get a "free" month of fuel each year,You are loosing MPG and will probably end up replacing the fuel injectors to the tune of about $75.00 each (X8) plus labor much sooner than the "93" guys will. Just my .02 :confused

·
Registered
43 Posts
2004 GTO said:
The higher octane fuels also contain a much better additive mix for maintaining the fuel system.
Where are you guys getting this from??? The additives are no different. Direct from the General Motors Web site. Read about their top tier program.

The Top Tier program began on May 3, 2004. Chevron, QuikTrip and ConocoPhillips have met the Top Tier Detergent Gasoline standards and are offering this product in all octane grades and in all their respective marketing areas
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/environment/fuel_economy_emissions/emissions/detergent_092704.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
Keep in mind, that yess the knock sensor WILL reduce timing "if" it senses knock. That means foot to the floor, severe load, or constant high RPM running. The rest of the time, which is 99% of teh driving most people do, the computer could care less what octane you are using

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zone 5 said:
Lets see, GM says that it doesn't matter, so I run 87, you run 93. I save $141 a year, which is 75 gallons of gas, or 4 tanks, or better still 1275 miles. That means that I get one month of free gas compared to using 93. This is all based on your mpg numbers etc.
If you want, I can continually ship you barrels of goat milk from the Amish at wholesale!??! Which you can then in turn combine with 2 parts of luke warm water. This would be very comparable to the low quality of fuel which you utilize in your muscle car. Some people, it's actually quite amusing; I can understand buying Equate brand cotton balls over Johnson & Johnson, or even Good Value brand salsa over Picante, but to use cheap fuel in your $34,000 vehicle is just preposterous. Go lift up your couch cushions and and empty the vacuum bag for the extra pennies which is very evident you need.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sboylan said:
but to use cheap fuel in your $34,000 vehicle is just preposterous. Go lift up your couch cushions and and empty the vacuum bag for the extra pennies which is very evident you need.
$27,000 is more like it, and if you want to waste $150 a year, more power to you. But then again, if you paid $34K for your GTO, you already got ripped off $7000

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zone 5 said:
$27,000 is more like it, and if you want to waste $150 a year, more power to you. But then again, if you paid $34K for your GTO, you already got ripped off $7000

You are such a moron, that is obviously sticker price; actually you got ripped off because mine was only 25,600. How bout them apples, biaaatch?

·
Registered
43 Posts
sboylan said:
You are such a moron, that is obviously sticker price; actually you got ripped off because mine was only 25,600. How bout them apples, biaaatch?
I think that you need to add tax/title/tags to your $25K car. and I don't really think that you want to get in a pissin contest with me either

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zone 5 said:
I think that you need to add tax/title/tags to your $25K car. and I don't really think that you want to get in a pissin contest with me either
It's always humorus when one party warns the other of not pissing them off via the internet. Are you going to take a road trip, hunt me down and put me in my place? Please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sboylan said:
It's always humorus when one party warns the other of not pissing them off via the internet. Are you going to take a road trip, hunt me down and put me in my place? Please.
I didn't tell you to not piss me off, I told you not to get into a pissin contest with me. There is a major difference between the two. Right now, you are just being an amusing 20 something year old kid. When you grow up some, maybe you will understand.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah yes the classical "grow up" card, how have I engaged in an immature discussion with you? I have articulately expressed that you are extremely cheap, period. You refuse to pay the additional .16 cents per gallon which apparently will break the bank. Fine, if that is your financial situtation it's not my position to tell you to buy higher grade fuel, however, with that said don't you dare imply that when I "grow up" I will understand. What were you doing when you were 22? Flipping hamburgers at Jack in the Box? Certainly not running a successful consulting firm.

·
Registered
63 Posts
zone 5 said:
Keep in mind, that yess the knock sensor WILL reduce timing "if" it senses knock. That means foot to the floor, severe load, or constant high RPM running. The rest of the time, which is 99% of teh driving most people do, the computer could care less what octane you are using
"Keep in mind" that the knock sensor WILL detect a knock WWAAYY before you will ever think of hearing it. Therefore you have no clue as to when the engine is beginning to knock. I have been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and not all fuel is the same. So if whatever you are reading has convinced you otherwise then go for it. I for one will gladly spend a few extra dollars to make my car run better and last longer and I'm sure not alone on that idea. If you are so concerned about fuel cost then you should get one of the hybrid toads out there. :shutme

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
2004 GTO said:
If you are so concerned about fuel cost then you should get one of the hybrid toads out there. :shutme
:agree Exactly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
sboylan said:
Ah yes the classical "grow up" card, how have I engaged in an immature discussion with you?
Your way to have a discussion is to call someone a Moron, a Bitch, and your "cute" little Goats Milk comment was really mature.

when I "grow up" I will understand. What were you doing when you were 22? Flipping hamburgers at Jack in the Box? Certainly not running a successful consulting firm.
What ever you are consulting on, I hope that you use a better choice of words than you have here. What was I doing at 22? I believe that my degree says I was still working on my MBA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2004 GTO said:
"Keep in mind" that the knock sensor WILL detect a knock WWAAYY before you will ever think of hearing it. Therefore you have no clue as to when the engine is beginning to knock. I have been in the automotive industry for 30+ years and not all fuel is the same. So if whatever you are reading has convinced you otherwise then go for it. I for one will gladly spend a few extra dollars to make my car run better and last longer and I'm sure not alone on that idea.
Yup, you pegged the exact thing that I said. The knock sensor is way smarter than humans. Its job along with a lot of other sensors on the car is to make sure that things run as they should. Do you really believe that GM would state that you can run 87 in the engine if you couldn't? Their only comment about it is that you "may" notice less acceleration. They say nothing about knocking. I think GM knows more about the LS1 than any one here does.

As far as fuel goes, Does anyone here read what is typed? I never said that there wasn't a different between fuels. I never even talked about different fuels. I talked about the difference in ADDITIVIES between 87 and 93. Again, a direct quote from GM and Chevron on that. There is NO difference between the additivies that are in 87 or 93.

As far as fuel costs, I could care less. The 2 vehicles I have get between 14 and 17 mpg. However, why should I give more money to an oil company than I have to?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.