Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had this rattle from beneath the steering column. I have go to get this fixed or figured out. I hate little things like this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup!

Yes, I did...about 2 hours after delivery. If it's the same noise that I had: Pull off the lower dash section below the steering column, you can look up at the bottom of the column. There are 2 plates that lay, 1 on each side, beside the bracket that holds the column. If you lightly bump your fist on something solid you will hear the rattle. I had to slip a piece of thin foam, sticky on one side, between the plate on the drivers side of the column and the column bracket. It was tricky since it is VERY close, hence the rattle, and the foam is sticky on one side. I took a BIG flat bladed screw driver and opened the gap up enough to slide the foam in with another flat screw driver.

There isn't much room to get in there upside down, so it's pretty tough. My arms were killing me afterwards but no more rattle. :)

You can get the foam at any Hobby Lobby or the like.

Good luck...

P

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will do anything to get rid of the sound. Thanks for the write up, I'll be doing it as soon as the rain stops. Don't want my baby to get wet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
I will do anything to get rid of the sound. Thanks for the write up, I'll be doing it as soon as the rain stops. Don't want my baby to get wet.
I know what you mean! It was about 3-4 days before I could get mine fixed and it about drove me nuts!! Hopefully it's the same rattle and you can fix it the same as I did.

P

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got this fixed with the help of you guys. No more rattle

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much man. I am now very happy to drive here again

·
Registered
13 Posts
Same issue

got my new goat... found a new rattle... same one you guys are talking about.

Silly question... how did you get the panel you're talking about off?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a rattle in my steering column too - I can really only hear it when my turn signal is on...

I may have to crack open the panel and see what I can see.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had no choice but to fix mine and the car had no miles on it at all. Annoyed the sh1t out of me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I hear you... it's driving me nuts... it's well described above what to look for but I'm curious how you removed the panel without breaking anything...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Once you get that seat slid all the way back, which BTW will take 5 minutes with how slow our seat motors are. Take the underpanel off. Just pop it out towards you from the top and then remove the lower portion. Get into a position that will hurt your back worse than you can believe. Something that even Jenna Jameson wouldn't be happy about. Just bump the under metal cage made up of 3 plates with 10MM bolts, under the steering. You should hear the rattle. I took my bottom plate off, then jammed a screw driver up between the 2 plates inside the dash, This move seperated them enough so that the rattle was now gone. I hit everything with my portable impact gun to make sure it was all nice and tight again. Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
tano said:
got my new goat... found a new rattle... same one you guys are talking about.

Silly question... how did you get the panel you're talking about off?
It has 2 or 3 screws and the it will just drop out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
I had no choice but to fix mine and the car had no miles on it at all. Annoyed the sh1t out of me.
yup mine too..about 45 miles...

I also had a rear seat rattle that was almost more like a scraping sound. I narrowed it down to what seemed like the headrests on the rear seats. After a trip one weekend it about drove us NUTS, I took the back seat out to check it out. Very easy to do BTW.

It turned out to be a crappy design of how the seats actually attach to the inner body. The seat backs are connected in the middle with the center section and all is framed with 1/4" steel rod stock. This rod stock is framing the whole rear section and then run up to the top and forms 4 hooks at the top of the seat back, 2 on each side, and basically just hangs on the inner body in oval holes in the inner panel. The noise we were hearing was the rod hooks slipping back and forth against the sheet metal. I couldn't believe that had NO padding to keep them from touching!! Just pretty crappy build quality IMO. It's pretty bad that a car with less than 3000 miles and I had to take it apart twice to fix something that should have never left the Engineering department.

I ended up using some of the same adhesive sided foam I used on the column rattle. No rattle at all now!! :cheers I wish I would have taken pictures now, because I'm sure it won't be the only car with that rattle/squeek with that design.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Wow, I just thought I was an anal little prick hahaha. Mine does it too, but I only notice it when someone is riding with me, and I just figure it was gonna do it. This site REALLY IS helpful!! I'll get out there tomorrow and fix it. My mom noticed it to when I let her drive it. I never hear it because the windows are down or the stereo is up (I am used to it though, I have/had to do that to drown out all the crazy squeaks, rattles, etc. in my truck).

·
Registered
14 Posts
LIVEVIL said:
Once you get that seat slid all the way back, which BTW will take 5 minutes with how slow our seat motors are. Take the underpanel off. Just pop it out towards you from the top and then remove the lower portion. Get into a position that will hurt your back worse than you can believe. Something that even Jenna Jameson wouldn't be happy about. Just bump the under metal cage made up of 3 plates with 10MM bolts, under the steering. You should hear the rattle. I took my bottom plate off, then jammed a screw driver up between the 2 plates inside the dash, This move seperated them enough so that the rattle was now gone. I hit everything with my portable impact gun to make sure it was all nice and tight again. Good luck.
Yeah maybe it did just pop out...I was thinking it had screws but I might be mistaken...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was so excited to see this thread. Thought this was only on my car. Started hearing a little tap/rattle on the way home when I got it. It is intermittent. The car has been in twice to try and fix it, but they could not find it. I am going to try this for sure. THANKS!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts