Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started out looking for a hybrid and ended up with a Muscle Car.

Three months of research ; quotes ; and test drives.
After reading lots of forums - this one was my choice to register.
Many stories to tell as I learn to post , so I'll start with my Auto history.

List of the vehicles I have owned:

1972 Pontiac 400 Station Wagon (family handmedown)
1974 Pontiac Trans Am SD-455 (my first car with my name on title)
--- The TA was still running but drove wife's Maverick for several yrs - here
1988 Ford Taurus LX Wagon (married with kids - 286,000 miles)
1991 Ford Mustang GT (wife's current car)
1996 Ford Taurus SHO (was current car - 301,000 miles)
2005 Pontiac GTO ( arrived today !!! and will pickup this weekend) - >1 mile : paid cash while still in transit.

I keep cars much longer than most and My GTO will be used as my new
extreme commuter so should have lot's of mileage stories.

First things purchased (before GTO arrived) : Car Cover ; V1 .

The Pontiac GTO was the result of my linear equation from a formula I learned
in school (QMB class) and then the test drive solved the rightside/leftside brain fight.

The GTO forum helped with my knowledge base to make the deal and I hope
to assist back in kind.

Thanks and Glad to be here...

(P.S. - The FHP have Marauder's that Speedo cert at over 185 - the red one in north fla showed 211 ... No bull and the street FL laws change tomorrow .)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several of the items I ran into on Hybrids :

1) Be sure to review the true cost of ownership over 5 years...

2) The gas mileage is not as good as one would think on the highway and the
future value of the price savings requires gas to go over $5.00/gallon to breakeven.

3) The info on the cost of battery replacement (say @ 100,000 miles ) was
not available , so the price of replacing a total battery system at todays
prices was very high.

4) The fit/feel of driving a small car , 0-60 is not useful , Dealership pricing
premiums, and availability were all factors.

It was kinda cool how when you stop at a traffic light the car makes no noise. While the Eco value is high the fun value is low. My final values said it was just too early to buy in...

Regarding the GTO mileage : EPA is still pending right ? , the values presented are from Pontiac. Regardless - Driving style ; traffic patterns ; gas quality ; etc- all effect MPG.
Yes I am aware of what others report and I'll report what I get (both cpu and pencill values) thruout my commutes / track testing ...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Xcommuter said:
Regarding the GTO mileage : EPA is still pending right ? , the values presented are from Pontiac. Regardless - Driving style ; traffic patterns ; gas quality ; etc- all effect MPG.
Yes I am aware of what others report and I'll report what I get (both cpu and pencill values) thruout my commutes / track testing ...
I drive my GTO 1100 miles/week back and forth over a 4100' mountain and into traffic, cruising 80-90 mph.

I average 19.5 mpg.

The EPA smokes crack.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Groucho said:
I drive my GTO 1100 miles/week back and forth over a 4100' mountain and into traffic, cruising 80-90 mph.

I average 19.5 mpg.

The EPA smokes crack.

Groucho.... you do A LOT of driving per week.

On the M6 I here that the average eco on flat terrain is easily rnough 19 city and 26 highway...
My A4 averages 18 city and 22 highway.

Edit: Which is extremely good for a muscle car like this I might add.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Xcommuter said:
I started out looking for a hybrid and ended up with a Muscle Car.

Three months of research ; quotes ; and test drives.
After reading lots of forums - this one was my choice to register.
Many stories to tell as I learn to post , so I'll start with my Auto history.

List of the vehicles I have owned:

1972 Pontiac 400 Station Wagon (family handmedown)
1974 Pontiac Trans Am SD-455 (my first car with my name on title)
--- The TA was still running but drove wife's Maverick for several yrs - here
1988 Ford Taurus LX Wagon (married with kids - 286,000 miles)
1991 Ford Mustang GT (wife's current car)
1996 Ford Taurus SHO (was current car - 301,000 miles)
2005 Pontiac GTO ( arrived today !!! and will pickup this weekend) - >1 mile : paid cash while still in transit.

I keep cars much longer than most and My GTO will be used as my new
extreme commuter so should have lot's of mileage stories.

First things purchased (before GTO arrived) : Car Cover ; V1 .

The Pontiac GTO was the result of my linear equation from a formula I learned
in school (QMB class) and then the test drive solved the rightside/leftside brain fight.

The GTO forum helped with my knowledge base to make the deal and I hope
to assist back in kind.

Thanks and Glad to be here...

(P.S. - The FHP have Marauder's that Speedo cert at over 185 - the red one in north fla showed 211 ... No bull and the street FL laws change tomorrow .)
The Marauder's you are talking about have been massaged by Saleen. they are supercharged, have special suspesions and dyno at 500rwhp. They are doing longevity testing research. Wouldn't that be a cool work vehicle?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congratulations on the new Goat. I had my 05 GTO (6speed) for 3 weeks now.. I love this car.. traded 02 V6 Camaro in and I really don't think I am doing any worse on gas mileage with the GTO than the Camaro.. in fact, I think on the road and perhaps in town, it's as good (as long as I don't really put my foot in it when I take off (though those pipes sound soooo good). It's better than my 94 4.6L TBird on the road and beats the 94 Ford Ranger 4cylinder which I drive to work. I didn't buy it for gas mileage ( I only put 9k on the camaro last year).. I bought it because.. it has the LS2 engine and the 6 speed.. a lot cheaper than a vette and in my opinion the decent gas mileage is nice... the gas mileage is a lot better than the SUV and full size trucks running around here.. and a lot more fun to drive..

·
Registered
937 Posts
fergyflyer said:
The Marauder's you are talking about have been massaged by Saleen. they are supercharged, have special suspesions and dyno at 500rwhp. They are doing longevity testing research. Wouldn't that be a cool work vehicle?
Nice, wonder what that costs. Lets see, they spend 10's of thousands of my tax dollars on a racecar to issue massive fines to speeders (also tax payers) all in the name of safety. Right. Good thing we dont have a horrible problem like little kids being raped and murdered here so they can spend time running the game on speeders. Oh! wait...............

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
Nice, wonder what that costs. Lets see, they spend 10's of thousands of my tax dollars on a racecar to issue massive fines to speeders (also tax payers) all in the name of safety. Right. Good thing we dont have a horrible problem like little kids being raped and murdered here so they can spend time running the game on speeders. Oh! wait...............
Actually the Saleen gives them the cars for free. They just have to rack up a lot of miles real quick and hard on the car so they can do proper durability testing with it. Kinda like alot of car manufacturers do with taxi cab fleets. That way they get alot of hard miles real fast.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.