Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was too tempting with sunny skies, dry roads, and a scorching 48 degrees! We had a few rain showers to wash most of the salt down, so decided to take the new pwr plant for a short drive!

Wow, the new 455 has a little more get-up-and-go than the old smogger 400! It pulled strong up to 5K, and my 1st muncie build shifts nice & smooth with no more 3rd gear whine. A couple of observations, some of which will dip into the pocket book a little more...

--With no more noisy headers, the wife said she could hear my loud electric fans coming down the street, and then could hear the "good sound" (exhaust of course) as I drove by. In her words, get rid of those things! I am going to look at direct replacement of something made in this century, or just convert to a clutch fan & shroud.

--Kind of by accident, I replaced my M21 2.52 drive gear with a 2.20 gear & counter gear. I thought I would like it better, but it is plenty "tall" now. Not too bad with 3:36 rears and 500 LBs of torque, but I would not want to use it with 3.08 rears!

--A little ping/knock at full throttle. Need to first get fresh fill of 93 octane fuel. Had more knock at part throttle, so will adjust my vacuum advance out, which was in the full turned-in position.

--Seondaries on the qjet opening too soon. My choke pull-off is coming off within 1 second of losing vacuum, so will get it back to 2 seconds, which the book suggests. Will give this a try before turning the secondary spring tighter.

Looks like more crappy weather ahead, so I will have plenty of time to make a few adustments. But I must say, it felt great to get the car out of the shop!!

:party:

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Blew the windows off 'er!

My first real drive since I got the car early Feb. and first GTO spin since my first 64 4spd tri power GTO 46 years ago! Anyway got it out on the road with son in law shotgun & got the feel of the clutch, close ratio muncie, power, and sound. It was all coming back now.

The very first time I put my foot most of the way in rolling in first she came alive right now oops time for second. Hitting second and then big commotion and unidentifed noises so I backed off imediately. Crap. The previous owner said it had under 1000 miles on the $10k engine build and it "should be bullet proof".
Finally got another GTO and I broke it first time out!

After all the bad thoughts and what seemed like forever, not to menion getting a little chilly and noisy in the car..the "damage" became obvious. The rear quarter window was gone. Whatever G force there was the window was just sitting on the window track rolled up an it fell off into the quarter panel & made a heck of a racket in the process! Whew!! Fixed that..but a first drive I'll never forget!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You guys are killing me with these first ride opf the season stories. We got 10 inches of snow on Saturday and another 12 inches forecast tonight. the roads won't be dry for 3 to 4 weeks.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Almost to the point of rust-proofing the car as best you can, throw on a set of chains or studded tires, and drive it like its 1969!

Oh yeah, and that 1st drive was short-lived. We are in a winter strom warning now :( Maybe a Memorial Day 2nd drive??

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
We're in a week of rain & gloom so the vent window assemby got pulled for repairs. Not missing any drive time! The sun belt folks must be LOL on our weather whining. Thats ok. We really appreciate the warm sunny days we do get, have offseason time for car work, and the paint stays fresh.....except where the rust busts through!!! Hang in there snowbirds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts