Pontiac GTO Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
the TKO is good but the new TKX is more of a" direct fit"/ replacement for the muncie, it is a trimmer unit. I a not sure if the driveshaft needs to shortened or not but I imagine that it would need some modification and the five speed would be a blessing on the highway. If I do pull the trigger on a new gear box I will probably sell the muncie, unless I get a new project to put it in.馃槀馃槀

Premium Member
tarmac does make an offset shifter not sure how much it move the shifter over but ti might be with a look.

Registered
1967 400/400
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I decided to update this thread, since I'm going ahead with the conversion.

Here were my considerations:
  1. Overdrive didn't matter to me. Nice to have, but I don't drive a 67 GTO for economics. So, in this regard, the Tremec TKX is no better than a Muncie to me.
  2. Console preservation. Although I lean in the Muncie direction, it requires a "one year", rare 4 speed console. The TKX does not, because the shifter exits through the automatic shifter opening.
  3. Price. It got very deceptive here:
    1. On average, most of the Muncies are all going for $2500-$3000, and very few have the speedometer on the right side. So... Even if you find a great Muncie for $1500, you still need the rare 4 speed console and doghouse... This easily brings the cost into Tremecville.
    2. Linkage: A hydraulic Mcloud setup, with a slave, stainless steel braided lines, heim joints, and a hydraulic, self adjusting throwout bearing is $600. The old z bar set up is at least $350 and it requires frame welding.
    3. Clutch and bellhousing costs are equal.
    4. The new TKX shifts better and it requires no mods to the floor.
My out the door, shipped cost will be $5000. I could not assemble a Muncie package for less than $4000 (unless I went with used or an unverifiable rebuilt). When you figure in; no frame, doghouse, or console mods, and the added overdrive, I just can't resist.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts