Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
another 67 lemans question - powerglide not shifting!!

I have just put my freashely rebuilt 326 into my 67 lemans and I got it running perfect. I went out to drive it and it won't shift into second. It is a "slip n' slide" powerglide :lol: and i can't figure it out. It also shifts into drive really hard. Is it possible i have the trans cooler lines on backwards on the transmission. I didn't think it mattered which way they went on. Please help me!! Thanks everybody

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
Did you connect the transmission vacuum modulator line when you installed the motor? The hard shift could be from low modulator pressure and when the governor pressure overcomes the shift valve spring it slams the car into drive rather than a smooth transition.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there is a steel line that screws into the back of the carb and the fitting is striped but it still gets a good enough seal to work. Could that be the reason of it not shifting??

·
Super Moderator
5,146 Posts
This is from my 67 service manual for the Tempest Transmission.

Problem: Long Shift Time-Shift does not have positive engagement

1) Check engine idle.
2) Check for suction leak.
3) Check low band adjustment.
4) Check for proper modulator can assembly.
5) Check for defective modulator can--no bellows load.
6) Check for leak at inner hole of low servo piston assembly.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know what #2 and #6 mean but i am thinking that it is a vacume problem the T fitting that screws into the back of the carb was striped and just flopping around in there so i will try a new fitting and go back at it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i took out the vacume modulator and there was fluid coming out of the port so i replaced it and it shifts into second now. But it has another porblem when i am driving it feels like it doesn't want to shift into second. I have to let off the gas let it shift and get back into it. Also when i come to a complete stop it kind of hick ups like it is down shifting before i stop all the way. What could be the cause of this. Thanks for all the help so far

1 - 6 of 6 Posts