Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi guys,

First, I never owned a powerful car before so I’m fairly ignorant on what to expect. I have a new (600mi now) 06 M6 w/ 18” wheels. The other day I took it to a deserted road with TC off. From a stop I shifted into first, then after the car began to move at idle I floored it. In the higher RPM range (around 5k) there was a little wheel squealing, but not as much wheel spin as I expected, and certainly none at lower RPM. I shut it down just after I shifted to 2nd. I repeated this a few times with about the same result. Seem normal to you, or do you think my car may be underpowered? (BTW, I know this is not the best way to launch, just testing out the car's behavior).

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've never owned a car this powerful before either...especially with a M6.

Are you just wanting to do a nice burnout? If so, I think you're going to have to bring the rpm up first. The way you describe what you did, the goat did exactly what she's supposed to do. Hook up and fly. I've done a couple small chirps, but haven't attempted a real smoker. When I do, I'm going to be prepared for her to break loose. I'm going to have to be more comfortable with her before I do that.

I have done just about what you've described a couple times with the same results...and I wouldn't call anyting about my experience as "underpowered" :rofl:

Gerry

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gerry,

I'm not quite ready to dump the clutch yet, but just wanted to make sure the car is performing as it should be. My first performance car, I really enjoy it, but maybe I'm too anxious about it.

My wife would like to make a meal out of your avatar--she would call it "lechon."

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kanding said:
Thanks, Gerry,

I'm not quite ready to dump the clutch yet, but just wanted to make sure the car is performing as it should be. My first performance car, I really enjoy it, but maybe I'm too anxious about it.

My wife would like to make a meal out of your avatar--she would call it "lechon."
Thanks...we did make a meal out of it...

http://carbondaleporkdistrict.com/hawg.htm

I'm not ready to dump the clutch yet either...I'll get there some day, but it may take a while.

Gerry

·
Registered
388 Posts
I should have added that with anything but that silly-slick type of pavement you encounter at times, doing what you and I have done just hooks her up too well to break the tires loose. It seems to transfer just enough weight to the back tires to squat and launch.

Gerry

·
Registered
569 Posts
I agree, from a slight roll-on like that, the cars hook well. From what I was told, it is a combo of the IRS but the ECU tuning has a lot to do with it too. It has "anti wheel hop" and "traction control" built into it even when the TC is off- it does not go WOT when you do, insteadt, waits until the car is rolling at a certain speed/RPM, then ramps the throttle up. Again, this is what I was told by an ecu tuner, so it is not my personal knowledge- but I have seen this in several other drive by wire vehicles, so I don't doubt it.

Now- if you want to smoke 'em, bring it to 4500+, dump the clutch and let her rip. Bang second and it will keep going a good bit into second :). Be careful- this car does not like to track very straight when the tires get going lol.
Joe

·
Registered
388 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Now- if you want to smoke 'em, bring it to 4500+, dump the clutch and let her rip. Bang second and it will keep going a good bit into second :). Be careful- this car does not like to track very straight when the tires get going lol.
Joe
Which is precicely why I won't be doing that for some time ;-) I learned a long time ago that when you have something new, and try something like that, things can go wrong quickly. Especially if its in front of people. Saw a guy flip his cr0tch rocket once. Brand spankin' new bike.

And no, it was not me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kwiktsi said:
Joe

Yeah, I did feel a little sway in the rear on one of my runs, not enough to be scary, though.

Just changed the oil today at about 600 miles, and glad I did, the original oil didn't look good. It only took 6 qts to fill it a little above the max level. Strange, as the manual say 6.5 qts capacity. A little over six is what was in it originally. Not a great morning, as I broke my 13mm socket removing the drain plug (cheap crap set) and touched my shoulder to the oil pan (ouch!) I should probably change the diff and trans fluids soon too.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Kanding said:
Yeah, I did feel a little sway in the rear on one of my runs, not enough to be scary, though.

Just changed the oil today at about 600 miles, and glad I did, the original oil didn't look good. It only took 6 qts to fill it a little above the max level. Strange, as the manual say 6.5 qts capacity. A little over six is what was in it originally. Not a great morning, as I broke my 13mm socket removing the drain plug (cheap crap set) and touched my shoulder to the oil pan (ouch!) I should probably change the diff and trans fluids soon too.
I don't know if it was sway or not...I'm not used to this sort of beast. I passed a car, and laid on her hard in 3rd or 4th, I was still in the left lane when I let off, and as soon as I did, she took a turn to the right. I over-corrected a bit and ended up right over the center line. Good thing there was no traffic coming.

While not something I have experienced in other cars, I thought that was normal. It seems like 400 ft-lbs of torque wants to twist this thing, and when you unload her quickly like I did, there will be a response.

Gerry

·
Registered
569 Posts
ShoddyHog said:
I don't know if it was sway or not...I'm not used to this sort of beast. I passed a car, and laid on her hard in 3rd or 4th, I was still in the left lane when I let off, and as soon as I did, she took a turn to the right. I over-corrected a bit and ended up right over the center line. Good thing there was no traffic coming.

While not something I have experienced in other cars, I thought that was normal. It seems like 400 ft-lbs of torque wants to twist this thing, and when you unload her quickly like I did, there will be a response.

Gerry

Hmm, never encountered that one- my car just pulls straight through all the gears unless the tires are spinning in 1st/2nd. It did seem to wander a bit compared to my Crossfire though, maybe that's what you encountered?

As for it "not being enough to be scary", you're right- but I was just giving a warning since some people may not expect it :). I did have to lift once in second though giving a friend a smoke show since it just would not go straight any more lol.
Joe

·
Registered
388 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Hmm, never encountered that one- my car just pulls straight through all the gears unless the tires are spinning in 1st/2nd. It did seem to wander a bit compared to my Crossfire though, maybe that's what you encountered?
Don't know what it was...I tried to duplicate it today, and she was strait as could be. I have noticed that compared to my Bonneville, the goat gets blown around by wind gusts. It was a windy day, or it could have just been me. I barely have to steer the car...I just think about a lane change, and I'm there.

Gerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.