Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined the forum and very much enjoyed reading the discussions of car "A" vs car "B". Alas my racing days are long gone but enjoyable reading non-the-less.

Have had my '05 metallic black goat auto for about 3 weeks now. Love the car, ride is a bit stiff for mine and the wife's aging bones but still worth the price because of the performance on tap. Have got a bit over 800 miles on the car so far.

During my younger years, I had a '67 GTX with the 440 mill and large 4 barrel (can't remember the size but think it was 750 cfm). It was a tough car during it's day but my '05 goat would have chewed it up and spit out the crumbs.

Will likely never do it again but just once had to see what the '05 had on tap. On an open stretch of 2 lane (no traffic and cleared for cops) with the traction control off, I torqued the goat to about 1100 revs, released the brake and floored it. traction went away immediately so I pedeled it just a touch to try to get it to hook up. It never did really hook up before 2nd gear came in and again traction was gone after the shift. Thought what the heck and let it burn up to about 5000 rpm before backing out. I guess I left about a thousand miles worth of tire wear back there in those two black streaks. Best guess is that it will take a couple of good rains to get them washed off the blacktop. Reliving those few brief seconds of my younger years, I believe, added a couple more good years to my life.

· Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Went outside to check the tire pressure and as you suggested, it was above 55 psi in all four tires. Bled them down to 35. Can't wait to see if the wife notices the difference tomorrow when she goes to work.

Thanks for that info. Never occured to me that the tire pressure wouldn't have been checked at the dealership.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.