Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I had a chance to run my friends dad's '99 lightning yesterday and once again I am wondering why it feels so slow. I only pulled a car on him from a 20mph-100mph punch. Only a car and a half from a dig. I also fried my clutch on the last run. But still, I was BARELY pulling this thing and it is very close to stock. All it has is a fliter and mufflers, I was expecting at least 3-4 cars.

·
Registered
937 Posts
RevnR6 said:
Well I had a chance to run my friends dad's '99 lightning yesterday and once again I am wondering why it feels so slow. I only pulled a car on him from a 20mph-100mph punch. Only a car and a half from a dig. I also fried my clutch on the last run. But still, I was BARELY pulling this thing and it is very close to stock. All it has is a fliter and mufflers, I was expecting at least 3-4 cars.
Those lightnings are no slouches, I dont think you did bad. They are weakest from the dig because of their problem hooking up. From a roll of 20 the S/C is crankin and they are already hooked. You did fine. You fried your clutch? As in it is dead? Yoru car is brand new with no mods? You must be slippin the hell out of it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohh its ok now, it just didn't hook at all for that one race. Just slipped to all hell with it let all the way out. Smelled like clutch for a LONG time. I ran it from a couple of stop lights today and it is doing fine though. Ohh well, I have the factory warranty and an aftermarket warranty that should cover it if it goes bad anytime soon. Plus I have a shop that will hook me up.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I've run a Lightning from a roll and a dig in my T/A (stock). I did better from a roll, and slowly pulled it. From a dig, He inched ahead, due to me spinning, then held about 3/4 length through 3rd. I think you did fine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
RevnR6 said:
Ohh its ok now, it just didn't hook at all for that one race. Just slipped to all hell with it let all the way out. Smelled like clutch for a LONG time. I ran it from a couple of stop lights today and it is doing fine though. Ohh well, I have the factory warranty and an aftermarket warranty that should cover it if it goes bad anytime soon. Plus I have a shop that will hook me up.
Damn, that thing must have been glowing red! BTW, your manufacturer warranty wont cover a clutch, unfortunatly. They are like brake pads, a wear item not normally covered.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JMVorbeck said:
Damn, that thing must have been glowing red! BTW, your manufacturer warranty wont cover a clutch, unfortunatly. They are like brake pads, a wear item not normally covered.
The aftermarket should, especially since i have a hook up at a warranty shop here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
RevnR6 said:
You did just fine, a Ford lightning is nothing to frown at. They are beasts. :cool

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well with that many miles, you are def past the break in period... it should be making good power now. Looks like a dyno run may be in order. Agreed with what others have stated, the Lightning is a pretty stout vechicle. Although, I would of thought that nearing 100mph you would of had a greater lead as well... but I havent raced one, so I cant say for sure. May be a bit of heat soak?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts