Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tires on the rear of my 67 GTO convertible pretty soon. I'm thinking of going from my 235 60 15s to 255 65 15s for a couple of reasons. It will fix my speedo, lower the revs while cruising, and give a little more traction I assume. I have 15x7 Rally 2 wheels and the current tires fit fine with no rubbing. I do have new springs and drag bags installed so will the 255s fit?

·
Registered
35 Posts
The new tires should check in at 28" total height and 10" wide if I calculate right.

What you have now are 9.25" wide and 25.1" high. I'd check with 3" block of wood and that should show you your new clearance. Width should be fine I would think as you are only adding less than 1/2 an inch to each side. But check anyway!

Someone else check these numbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'll assume that you are looking at 255/60/15 and not 255/65/15, which I have never seen before. I have the 255/60/15 BFG Radial T/As on Torq Thrust II wheels with 4.5" backspacing and they are a tight fit but look awesome on my car. This tire is 27.05" tall and I did roll the fender wells slightly to give additional clearance but don't think it was required. I have the drag bags as well, but don't run much more than 10 lbs in them.

I'm not far from you and you are welcome to come by and test fit one on your car if you like, PM me with your number if you want to do it.

Regards,

Randy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts