Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Because its the European style, coming from a European car. It is truly a dual exhaust, only the pipes are routed out next to each other. The split side is an "American Dual" setup. It was probably changed to appeal to the American consumer for which it is targeted at as a GTO. And in my opinion (and yours) it really looks good, the sales numbers of the 05 reflect it as well. You can change it on your 04 and there is a guy on this forum who did it and what a bang up job he did. He used oval tips and I think it looks absolutely killer. There are pics of his torrid red with focus on the exhaust on his thread. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
2004 sales stunk, in part, because idiot dealers were asking $10,000 over sticker (plus $7000 for the cheapest and ugliest aftermarket wheel and tire combinations you've ever seen) for GTOs when they came out. $50K for a GTO? No, thanks. This crap was going on all the way until November.

After every single interested customer left empty handed, vowing never to set foot in a Pontiac dealer again -- voila -- a 200 day supply of unsold GTOs. Helloooooooo, discounts!

As much as I like the 2005s (the exhausts, brakes and LS2 -- everything except the scoops), I'll take my fire sale price and 0% note any time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
You can change it on your 04 and there is a guy on this forum who did it and what a bang up job he did. He used oval tips and I think it looks absolutely killer. There are pics of his torrid red with focus on the exhaust on his thread. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Gee, I'm blushing :lol:
One improvement you can't see is that the car sounds better, IMO. Deeper and a little louder, especially above 3K. I am assuming this is a result of the bigger pipes behind the mufflers (2.5")

It cost me about $500 all told for this set up using Banshee Exhaust inserts, some custom oval tips, and SS 2.5" pipe from the mufflers back; I paid a body shop to install the inserts and an exhaust shop to run the pipes.
PRYC (who sells the Banshee inserts) is now offering a package of the inserts and the oval tips (which are copies of what comes on some Escalades) for around $200.00. You could also shave money if you wanted to by getting regular aluminized exhaust pipe or even just getting the passenger side run; I really wanted SS.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The 04 exhaust set-up running out one side also had another advantage - a larger trunk. The gas tank for the Monaro was originally in the other side location. Now with the fuel tank in the trunk to meet US safety regulations, there was room to run the exhaust out both sides as they did on the 05s.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think they wanted to be a little different. For me, my 94Z had dual. Put the American Thunder from flow master (cat back). Had 1 big 'ol sewer pipe out the left side. My 02 SS had dual-dual (SLP) cat back, so the GTO was a change from what I had. I like it. I don't like the '05's too many other cars with the two tone plastic and oversize ovals, but a goat is a goat; there all GOOD :D

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
2004 sales stunk, in part, because idiot dealers were asking $10,000 over sticker (plus $7000 for the cheapest and ugliest aftermarket wheel and tire combinations you've ever seen) for GTOs when they came out. $50K for a GTO? No, thanks. This crap was going on all the way until November.

After every single interested customer left empty handed, vowing never to set foot in a Pontiac dealer again -- voila -- a 200 day supply of unsold GTOs. Helloooooooo, discounts!

As much as I like the 2005s (the exhausts, brakes and LS2 -- everything except the scoops), I'll take my fire sale price and 0% note any time.
:agree

+1

Indeed.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
diverdan said:
Gee, I'm blushing :lol:
One improvement you can't see is that the car sounds better, IMO. Deeper and a little louder, especially above 3K. I am assuming this is a result of the bigger pipes behind the mufflers (2.5")

It cost me about $500 all told for this set up using Banshee Exhaust inserts, some custom oval tips, and SS 2.5" pipe from the mufflers back; I paid a body shop to install the inserts and an exhaust shop to run the pipes.
PRYC (who sells the Banshee inserts) is now offering a package of the inserts and the oval tips (which are copies of what comes on some Escalades) for around $200.00. You could also shave money if you wanted to by getting regular aluminized exhaust pipe or even just getting the passenger side run; I really wanted SS.
Did you do the install? That is growing on me.... I think I'm gonna do it next pay day! :cheers

·
Registered
34 Posts
Whoa---European?

JMVorbeck said:
Because its the European style, coming from a European car. It is truly a dual exhaust, only the pipes are routed out next to each other. The split side is an "American Dual" setup. It was probably changed to appeal to the American consumer for which it is targeted at as a GTO. And in my opinion (and yours) it really looks good, the sales numbers of the 05 reflect it as well. You can change it on your 04 and there is a guy on this forum who did it and what a bang up job he did. He used oval tips and I think it looks absolutely killer. There are pics of his torrid red with focus on the exhaust on his thread. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful.
Hey it ain't a European car. Austraila ain't in Europe. When the dealer told me it was made Down Under, that sealed the deal. There's too many US cars made in Canada, those leftist traitors. Now an Aussie machine! Those blokes are our mates, man. Mad Max lives!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mikey said:
Hey it ain't a European car. Austraila ain't in Europe. When the dealer told me it was made Down Under, that sealed the deal. There's too many US cars made in Canada, those leftist traitors. Now an Aussie machine! Those blokes are our mates, man. Mad Max lives!
Hey, it may not be made in Europe but the Aussies dont look to US (us) for design cues. While Australia may not be in Europe, who do you think runs the show down under? Just ask some of the former gun owners of that country. I do like the Aussies and I do like thier cars but they are Europeans.

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
04' Exhaust setup

I asked the owner of my local dealership why the exhaust set up on the 04's were designed like that...I got a kind of a long wind bagged answer as to why the 04' was so "plain looking" overall. In a condensed version this the answer I got.
According to him..The 04's were rushed into production because GM wanted to beat Ford Motor Company's unveiling of the retro 05' Mustang. There apparently was some kind of an exhaust problem with the U.S. emission requirements and the set up GM was using. So to appease the U.S. regulations, Pontiac hurriedly designed an exhaust system to get it on a GTO to meet the requirements to get the GTO out 1 model year before Ford unveiled the retro Mustang.

I was told that once the GTO had their digs in the states, the exhaust system could be grand-fathered and then would be modified to meet emission requirements and then add some other modifications i.e. the hood scoops. There was more to it than that but that was a brief overview of what I was told.

Whether or not that is the actual reason or not, I don't know, but I was told this, and I assume it to be the reason for it, or at least part of the reason for it. He seemed to have his facts in order as this was explained to me.
So I assume most of it had to do with hurrying a GTO to the open market before GM was actually ready just to beat Ford to the punch with their retro Mustang.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I first bought my 04 Goat I was a little disappointed with the one sided duel exhaust, but it started to grow on me. It was different looking, and it made people think, single or duel? Now that I see what the 05 duel exhaust looks like, I like both of them. I was going to change mine over, but decided to keep it the way it is. I love the way my 04 Goat looks, after I have changed the looks of it, MPD Hood, Auto Cross Grills, and a few other body changes, but it looks nothing like an 05.
http://www.hyperfiles.com/users/mrrok/tmp.62920767507_0_ALB.jpg <--click

ROK

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm keeping my single side dual exhaust. It may not bring in money like a 63 split window Stingray in 20 years but it will keep mine unique and identifiable as an 04.

Sure, I may have long tubes and 3" pipes all the way to the back but it'll still come out on one side...

·
Registered
144 Posts
GTODEALER said:
Did you do the install? That is growing on me.... I think I'm gonna do it next pay day! :cheers
I farmed the insert install to a bodyshop (though I painted them black myself) for $130. I was too chicken to cut the bumper myself. Though looking at it afterward, it appeared to pretty straightforward. I also wasn't certain what type of adhesive would work best.

I also farmed the exhaust to an exhaust shop for $350 (this included 2.5" SS pipes from the mufflers back on both sides and the tips).

·
Registered
98 Posts
GTO Judge
The dealer you talked to does not even understand the emissions standards.
You do not "grandfather" in a design change. All designs must meet the standards assigned to that model. ( Not all models meet the same standards in the same model year.)The GTO was imported on short notice, and that may have led to no time to redesign the exhaust for the first model year. BUT that hogwash about emission blah blah blah, is simply a fiction.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts