Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a question about the Hurst Shifter anti rattle plate (Ames part# R164AN). Where does this install? I have a slight shifter rattle and I am curious if this would eliminate the issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is a replacement/rebuild part for an item that is already on your shifter if it is OEM; don’t recall seeing those on aftermarket Hurst. It is inside the shifter housing between the shift levers and the side plate-the removable piece at the rear of the shifter housing. To replace it, or install one if missing you have to remove the shifter, however the rattle plate is a non-wear item and I doubt the problem. Obviously check all bolts/nuts for tightness. Most likely the problem is worn, missing, or rotted nylon or rubber bushings (depending on the year) where the linkage arms attach to the shifter levers and/or transmission arms.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The shifter is new. When I installed it I changed the nylon bushings to the metal ones. Those could be causing the issue. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, metal bushings tend to be a little noisy. You may want to temporarily install the nylon bushings to see if that eliminates the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts