Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my GM rip shifter today and was wondering is it difficult to install or just time consuming?I have 23 years experience and access to hoist and all quality tools.I am trying to see if its a home project,after work,or go to shop on a day off?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just received my GM rip shifter today and was wondering is it difficult to install or just time consuming?I have 23 years experience and access to hoist and all quality tools.I am trying to see if its a home project,after work,or go to shop on a day off?
Heck, I read this thread simply because I didn't know what "auto tech by trade owners" meant. I'd think you'd do better with a title of "GMM Rip Shifter installation advice", but that's just me.

I'll be investigating the same thing. I am an old shade-tree mechanic, and have 10 years of helicopter repair & and A&P, so I know my way aroud a toolbox. If not too expensive, I'd rather just have a shop install it and work a few hours of OT to pay for it, but my ony concern is finding a shop I can trust to do it right.

Since I have a garage, ramps, jack stands, and a fairly complete set of good tools, I might just do it myself this winter if it doesn't sound too difficult. Heck, after not having turned a wrench ('cept for stuff like alternators, water pumps, etc.) on a car in nearly 20 years, I was even sort of dreading doing my own oil changes. Pfft! Took me all of 20 minutes, if that.

Gerry

·
Registered
273 Posts
I used to be a (mec a nick) have'nt put a gmm on my car yet, but talked to a guy at a meet that did, said it was easy. just have to lower the tail of the trans a bit to get your hands up there. still mite be faster on the lift. he said it took about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. good luck let me know how it go's will be doing mine over winter. post back or PM would be most thankful.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Should take you about an hour if your good, Do it on a lift...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should take you about an hour if your good, Do it on a lift...
Thats what I was hoping.Thabks for the reply and Ill let you know how long it took BURNZ I am shooting for this Sunday due to High school football friday,OSU BUCKEYES saturday and little leaque cheerleading sunday afternoon.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Thats what I was hoping.Thabks for the reply and Ill let you know how long it took BURNZ I am shooting for this Sunday due to High school football friday,OSU BUCKEYES saturday and little leaque cheerleading sunday afternoon.
:cool thanks, I will be under their some time. was at speed Inc. today all most bought the shifter, but if I have it sent to a friend in WI wont have to pay tax and shiping is free. bought the drag bags and will be picking up my pedder springs on sat. mabe sunday install.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:cool thanks, I will be under their some time. was at speed Inc. today all most bought the shifter, but if I have it sent to a friend in WI wont have to pay tax and shiping is free. bought the drag bags and will be picking up my pedder springs on sat. mabe sunday install.
Ive got bags only got them from JEGS and paid 70 bucks its an Ohio store so no tax when you buy from them.I got no wheelhop when they are at 20 psi I also have 245 45 17 nittos for the track,with street tires and 7 psi I get wheel hop only if I light them up from a roll.The handling is changed big time with bags and nittos towards the bad when cornering you got to be ready to streer with the throttle.Let me know how the springs work out with and without air and tire type.I want to improve more but the wifes starting to nag about the accessories.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ive got bags only got them from JEGS and paid 70 bucks its an Ohio store so no tax when you buy from them.I got no wheelhop when they are at 20 psi I also have 245 45 17 nittos for the track,with street tires and 7 psi I get wheel hop only if I light them up from a roll.The handling is changed big time with bags and nittos towards the bad when cornering you got to be ready to streer with the throttle.Let me know how the springs work out with and without air and tire type.I want to improve more but the wifes starting to nag about the accessories.
shall do, yea sounds like you have a big plate. with alot on it. 6QTS11OZ did the same set up that I'm going to do, said worked great and running the bags at 15psi. the drive ability has'nt changed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts