Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you fabricators know if it's possible/cost effective to make the floormat holder/fasteners out of metal or some other more durable medium? I have an 8 and 13 year old and those plastic fasteners just don't hold up.

Any help or ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excellent idea. I'd be interested if the price was right. Damn car wash ppl broke the one on my drivers side when vacuuming.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Geez, was thinking the exact same thing. Would be a cool little billet item.

Thought the ones were missing from my car the night I bought mine. Told the salesman about it. He went and rounded up 4 more of them. A couple days later, when packing stuff like road flares and a flashlight in the trunk -- I found a paper envelope with 4 more of them. Think I'll keep them as spares just in case.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
b_a_betterperson said:
Geez, was thinking the exact same thing. Would be a cool little billet item.

Thought the ones were missing from my car the night I bought mine. Told the salesman about it. He went and rounded up 4 more of them. A couple days later, when packing stuff like road flares and a flashlight in the trunk -- I found a paper envelope with 4 more of them. Think I'll keep them as spares just in case.
Good idea, they don't last long. I've been through two sets. I'm not replacing until I can find a better option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
Any of you fabricators know if it's possible/cost effective to make the floormat holder/fasteners out of metal or some other more durable medium? I have an 8 and 13 year old and those plastic fasteners just don't hold up.

Any help or ideas appreciated.
Hi! New member; just signed up, a few minutes ago.

I'd be happy to take a look at the idea!

I own a one-man tool and die job shop, and can make just about anything.
Currently, as a sideline business, I make custom-engraved stainless steel shift knobs to fit BMW and MINI Cooper (see www.whalenshiftmachine.com).

I don't have any idea what they look like, but I'll get my hands on one of the fasteners that you're interested in, and see what I can do.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doug W. said:
Hi! New member; just signed up, a few minutes ago.

I'd be happy to take a look at the idea!

I own a one-man tool and die job shop, and can make just about anything.
Currently, as a sideline business, I make custom-engraved stainless steel shift knobs to fit BMW and MINI Cooper (see www.whalenshiftmachine.com).

I don't have any idea what they look like, but I'll get my hands on one of the fasteners that you're interested in, and see what I can do.
Give me an address, I'll send you one. That's the least I could do if you're going to look into it. Thanks :cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
Give me an address, I'll send you one. That's the least I could do if you're going to look into it. Thanks :cheers
Excellent!
I stopped by my local dealership yesterday, but the parts dept. was closed.

Here you go:

Doug Whalen
4944 Pearl City Rd.
Freeport, IL 61032

As soon as it shows up, I'll let you know what I can do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doug W. said:
Excellent!
I stopped by my local dealership yesterday, but the parts dept. was closed.

Here you go:

Doug Whalen
4944 Pearl City Rd.
Freeport, IL 61032

As soon as it shows up, I'll let you know what I can do.

Thanks!
Got the part packaged up. I'll mail it tomorrow in the am. Let me know when you get it. Curious to see what you come up with. Thanks again, Brian :cool

·
Registered
8 Posts
bomber76 said:
Awesome! Thanks Doug for seeing what you can do for us. :cheers
No problem; I really enjoy getting into this kind of stuff!

My background is eight years as a modelmaker at Honeywell and eighteen years having my own shop; so making things is what I do, on a daily basis.

Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it even pays the bills! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks, Gumbygoat!

I received the part a few days ago. I've also ordered the mating piece, so I can try the fit after I've whipped up one of these things.

I should have something to show, by the middle of next week.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Doug W. said:
Thanks, Gumbygoat!

I received the part a few days ago. I've also ordered the mating piece, so I can try the fit after I've whipped up one of these things.

I should have something to show, by the middle of next week.
You go guy!!! Thanks. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but some of the pieces don't seem to go all the way through the mat into the holding piece on the floor. You should be able to spin and lock the piece into place, but on some of the pieces, it seems like the shank part (for lack of a better word) isn't long enough. Let us all know what you come up with. Thanks again. :cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm very interested in these too. I noticed my car didn't have them when I bought it. I asked the dealer to order them and have yet to hear back from them. Typical service... :rolleyes:

How can so many of these cars not have these parts??

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Just a suggestion.

I picked up my GTO while we still had snow on the ground and parking lots were a mess. I quickly pulled the factory carpeted mats and put in a set of weathertech black rubber mats. They even have a red trim stripe that matches the red trim on the interior of my 05 Cyclone Gray GTO. The rubber mats do a much better job of holding daily grunge and don't show wear as readily as carpeted mats. You dont have to worry about fasteners. The rubber mats fit pretty tightly and stick to the carpeting like glue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
GumbyGoat said:
Doug W,
Any updates on the project? Just curious and anxious to see what you come up with... Brian :cheers

Nothing yet.

One of my industrial customers has me swamped with hot jobs lately.
To make things worse, I just took delivery on a new machining center last week, and my shop is in a bit of disarray right now.

I think I'm gonna have to put this project on hold, at least for now; too much going on at the moment.

Sorry! But maybe I can get back to it at a later date.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Doug W. said:
Nothing yet.

One of my industrial customers has me swamped with hot jobs lately.
To make things worse, I just took delivery on a new machining center last week, and my shop is in a bit of disarray right now.

I think I'm gonna have to put this project on hold, at least for now; too much going on at the moment.

Sorry! But maybe I can get back to it at a later date.
Standing by...It's not like my GTO is going anywhere.....Thanks again :cheers

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Doug W,
Any word or update on any progress? Seems there is also interest on another GTO Forum in regard to the floormat retainers. Just checking. :cheers

1 - 20 of 22 Posts