Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God, I need to quit this stuff... Any tips on how to quit? Smoking I have just been up and quitting, smoking one or two a day when I get the cravings (I don't think that's that bad for a pack-a-day usually), but chewing I just get the worst cravings, and it won't stop... :confused :confused

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have found that the best way to stop, is cold turky. I just quit 2 weeks ago, and I think I'm over the cravings for the most part. The first 3 days were killer though :willy: .

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Soak your chew in fermenting horse piss for about 2 hours before you dip. Then squeeze the juice from the ass of 3 diseased skunks on top of that. Make sure your sinuses are clear before you're ready to dig in. If that doesn't make you stop brother I don't know what will.

Seriously, from what I've seen the way to do it is to attempt to quit cold turkey and buy large bags of sun flower seeds.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Recoginizing that you need to quit is a very important first step. However, since nicotine to harder to withdraw from than heroin (as I've seen guys get off horse but continue to smoke even though they don't want to), you're going to need more than sheer will to quit successfully.

Philip Morris has something called "Quit Assist." It's for smokers -- but the techniques can be used for chewing tobacco as well:

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitassist/index_flash.asp

Contact the local chapter of your American Lung Association, too:

http://www.lungusa.org/

You can also look at this site:

http://www.quittobacco.com/

Talk to your doctor or insurance company, too. Bottom line? You need a plan. A way of coping on a day-to-day basis. Nicotine gets out of your system within 72 hours -- so the addiction itself isn't physical -- it's psychological -- so creating ways of distracting yourself are paramount.

Whatever you do, figure out a way of getting off chew. Smoking two cigarettes a day will not hurt you. It's the 5, 10 and pack a day levels that are harmful. Me? I smoke two a day -- then toss the pack. Otherwise, I'd be chaining the things. But that chew will give you mouth cancer for sure.

If you won't do it for yourself -- do it for your kids -- who might not want to be burying you sooner than necessary -- and after half your face has been surgically removed.

Best of luck to you. Find a program, get a support group if you need it, and take things one day at a time!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am ok unless I am drinking, that is when I get the worst urge to smoke. I have not had one for a month now and even when I was smoking it was only when I had 6 beers or more.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I quit smoking 3 weeks ago myself. It's been very hard. I've been chewing the nicotine gum and doing the patch (not at the same time) and it seems to help very little. The worst time is when I'm drinking :cheers and whenever me and the old lady get done taking care of business! :D
I do still like to dip from time to time though, that'll be the next thing to kick!
Good luck on quitting! :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I have two neighbors that dip and they are only 17!! They came to me with the same question and they found sunflower seeds and gum help them the most. I know that this is not much help, I just thank god I was smart enough to never do or try nicotine products or drugs for that matter, the only thing I've ever done was drink a little and even then I rarely do that. I wish you guys the best of luck, my neighbors are down to one can every two weeks!!!! :cheers

·
Registered
195 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I have two neighbors that dip and they are only 17!! They came to me with the same question and they found sunflower seeds and gum help them the most. I know that this is not much help, I just thank god I was smart enough to never do or try nicotine products or drugs for that matter, the only thing I've ever done was drink a little and even then I rarely do that. I wish you guys the best of luck, my neighbors are down to one can every two weeks!!!! :cheers
My best friend and I dipped at 12-13 yrs of age. I did it regretfully on an on-and-off basis until two or three years ago when I met my wife, I'm 32 now. Mainly it was a drinking thing as well, it's amazing how alcohol changes your temporary outlook on things, even now I get the urge after drinking. I too would have one dip then pitch the rest, sure it's a waste of $ but that method kept me from getting a real bad addiction, plus I'm a worry wart and feared getting cancer enough to quit.

Cold turkey is the only way and you have to really need to want to quit. Think about those you love as someone else mentioned. I just wish now that my best friend could shake it, however he practically has a dip in constantly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I suppose it depends on your personality type and your specific situation, but I just eventually got so mad at myself because I "couldn't" quit smoking after 8 years. Couldn't is in quotes because OF COURSE I could quit, all I had to do was not smoke any more cigarettes. The first 5 days were *hard* but every time I got a craving I weighed the choices of having a smoke and being a failure, or continuing to succeed. I hate to fail :rolleyes: It is still hard at times, but cravings get farther and farther and farther apart, and much easier to defeat.
The three most important pieces of advice I can give are
1) Make a list of your reasons for wanting to quit, keep it with you and look at it constantly (every hour or more, cravings will ambush you).
2) Bear in mind at all times, it *will* get easier the longer you go without cheating. Having 1 cigarette sets you back to day 0.
3) If you don't already, start taking a multi-vitamin daily. This was passed on to me by a friend and it seemed to really help, compared with times I had tried to quit in the past.

Good luck man, I love being a non-smoker, and you will too.
:cheers

Oh yeah, drinking...don't drink AT ALL until you've gone at least 6 weeks without smoking. It's the kiss of death.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My reasons for quiting were probably the same as everyone elses. Cancer. My uncle is dieing from lung cancer after smoking for 30+ years, so that played a huge role. If that wasn't enough, what put it over the top was how much money I spent on smoking. 3 packs a week at $5 a pop is about $780/yr! That's about half a year's of gas for me (current gas prices). Plus, I always try to give up somethng when I get somethng new. So, since I'm getting the GTO, I decided to give up smoking. It made enough sence to me, anways :) .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am not a smoker. But from watching others try to stop w/o success. My opinion is like others say "you've got to want to stop". And you've also have to have some balls to follow through with it.

If you want to get help to quit, the best results I have seen are from those that get Hypnosis to help out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
GOTPWR said:
I am not a smoker. But from watching others try to stop w/o success. My opinion is like others say "you've got to want to stop". And you've also have to have some balls to follow through with it.

If you want to get help to quit, the best results I have seen are from those that get Hypnosis to help out.
I agree with what you say except for the hypnosis thing.

Nicotine addiction is the easiest thing to break. Going cold turkey will break the addiction in as little as two weeks. The problem with quitting is the psychological part of it. Smoking becomes a part of your life. You smoke when you are nervous, you smoke when you get a problem solved, or finish eating you need one, etc.

A smoker's life is filled with "smoking triggers" and getting some degree of control over these triggers is the secret to quitting. Sadly most people (myself included) who have tried, and failed to quit, lost the battle to win out over these triggers. Sometimes a genuine medical scare will tip the scales towards quitting, other times it may be a change in one's whole attitude toward life that will lead to success.

As you say, if one REALLY wants to quit, it can be done. If you don't want to quit, there is no need to even try.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What many fail to recognize also, is that women get pregnant and quit instantly without even blinking an eye. But these same women try to stop while they are NOT pregnant, and they say they can't. (Just a few cases I have seen--including my wife)

So wanting or "having" to quit is the key!

·
Registered
92 Posts
What I've heard is that the nicotine is out of your body in 72hours so the physical dependence is basically gone....the rest is all in your head.

What I can't believe is how bad it smells....I always thought I was careful about not stinking...I don't care what you do outside of showering after every smoke you're going to smell like smoke.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts