Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm headed home from work today and meet a Lexus GS 4?? at a stoplight. I didn't get a good look at the model number. I pulled up in the right lane, its clear ahead. As the light turned green, he took off.... so I did too. 1st, no problem, 2nd, no problem.... finding 3rd was a bit tricky (by this time I'm approaching triple digit speeds head towards the open country). I went to go back to 4th and hit 2nd... I'm thinking WTF. That killed my momentum and he got around me. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid, but I've not really ever seriously raced before. Aside from going with the B&M shifter to clean up the shifts, what other tips do you all have for racing???

On a side note, decided to try a powerbrake (my 6m) and it did great until I started hitting yellow-line and shifted to 2nd. The back end got REALLY squirley. How do you keep things going straight?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have only one.............any type of STREET racing is not only foolish and stupid, it's illegal and you should not only "feel" stupid..............

·
Registered
937 Posts
The_Goat said:
So I'm headed home from work today and meet a Lexus GS 4?? at a stoplight. I didn't get a good look at the model number. I pulled up in the right lane, its clear ahead. As the light turned green, he took off.... so I did too. 1st, no problem, 2nd, no problem.... finding 3rd was a bit tricky (by this time I'm approaching triple digit speeds head towards the open country). I went to go back to 4th and hit 2nd... I'm thinking WTF. That killed my momentum and he got around me. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid, but I've not really ever seriously raced before. Aside from going with the B&M shifter to clean up the shifts, what other tips do you all have for racing???

On a side note, decided to try a powerbrake (my 6m) and it did great until I started hitting yellow-line and shifted to 2nd. The back end got REALLY squirley. How do you keep things going straight?
You dont! Least I havnt figured it out. I have done the 4th to 2nd thing too, pretty startling. :willy:

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
vnamvet said:
I have only one.............any type of STREET racing is not only foolish and stupid, it's illegal and you should not only "feel" stupid..............
Why don't you chill? We all know that street racing is illegal and unsafe but we all have done it at some time. I know I'm guilty. Knowing when to let up is the key to making it a little bit safer. If two people decide to play around without putting anyone else in harms way besides themselves, then so be it. If they do put others in harms way then it truly is stupid. Please tell us how you were so disciplined and law abiding not to street race :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
156 Posts
vnamvet said:
Thanks, gramps.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the last stoplight before going out of town. There is a two lane stretch for about a mile then the right lane ends. I'm not going to cut someone off or be so agressive to get anyone hurt. The only other cars in sight were behind me. I do share your sentiment on racing when it isn't prudent. If they had a legal place to do it or a track I'd be there every weekend, but they don't. (There is one about an hour away, but it's ALWAYS packed..and kinda $h!tty.)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tips on racing? Wellll..

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing is important to men who do it well. When you're racing, its life...anything that happens before or after...is just waiting."
-Le Mans

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I kept having problems on the 2-3 shift with the stock shifter. I got a B&M and now once going from 3-4 and once going from 5-4 have hit 2nd. The 5-4 was done at a high enough rpm that I was afraid I might have done damage, but it seems ok. I guess you just need to move the shifter a little slower with the T-56.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My question is, if you're racing and going to 4th, you're around 90 or so. So if you go to 2nd, wouldn't the engine go to about 12,000 rpms and blow up?

·
Registered
937 Posts
fat nick said:
My question is, if you're racing and going to 4th, you're around 90 or so. So if you go to 2nd, wouldn't the engine go to about 12,000 rpms and blow up?
No, the tires just loose traction and skid. It only happens for about a second because you realize in an instant what you did. Remember, under deceleration in a car, the a$$ end lifts up and the rear tires loose alot of weight. Thats why most cars have a 70/30 brake force distribution. Because of the loss of traction in that scenario I believe there is more force being applied to the drivetrain during a full throttle launch than would be wrought by downshifting to a low gear at high speed.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
No, the tires just loose traction and skid. It only happens for about a second because you realize in an instant what you did. Remember, under deceleration in a car, the a$$ end lifts up and the rear tires loose alot of weight. Thats why most cars have a 70/30 brake force distribution. Because of the loss of traction in that scenario I believe there is more force being applied to the drivetrain during a full throttle launch than would be wrought by downshifting to a low gear at high speed.
In my 5-4 that ended up being a 5-2 I was at about 80-85. So I tested this out and it seems to be correct. The car ended up sideways. It definately was a BVD change required situation. I drove back past the area where it happened to look for skid marks, but there weren't any. Any other theorys that need testing will have to handled by others here, this one's enough for me.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I will admit I have an issue with the B&M 3-4 shift, it isn't very giving..... and to answer the earlier statement, no, if you're fast enough you can stab the clutch and avoid any damage, plus the stock clutch will slip most of the time when this happens...... not mine though :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
115 Posts
6QTS11OZ said:
Why don't you chill? We all know that street racing is illegal and unsafe but we all have done it at some time. I know I'm guilty. Knowing when to let up is the key to making it a little bit safer. If two people decide to play around without putting anyone else in harms way besides themselves, then so be it. If they do put others in harms way then it truly is stupid. Please tell us how you were so disciplined and law abiding not to street race :rolleyes: .
What he said. :agree

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I will admit I have an issue with the B&M 3-4 shift
I'm running the centering springs -- and once every couple of weeks I do a 3 to 2 instead of a 3 to 4. Same goes for 5 to 4 instead of 5 to 6. Real PITA. Used to have a Pro 5.0 shifter in a '94 Mustang GT -- and never had this problem at all.

Anybody with the B&M kit running theirs without the centering springs? If so, does feel through the center gate improve?

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
I'm running the centering springs -- and once every couple of weeks I do a 3 to 2 instead of a 3 to 4. Same goes for 5 to 4 instead of 5 to 6. Real PITA. Used to have a Pro 5.0 shifter in a '94 Mustang GT -- and never had this problem at all.

Anybody with the B&M kit running theirs without the centering springs? If so, does feel through the center gate improve?
Never thought about it, but I have the centering springs also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In an A4, T/C is not an issue as far as I am concerned

JMVorbeck said:
Keep your T/C off.
I have not taken my car to a track, but I have timed it going zero to 60, and it ran in the 5.4 to 5.5 second range, which is typical of the results achieved in the car magazines for a 2004 A4. If anything, my opinion is that in an automatic at least, the traction control helps you get better acceleration because you only deal with minimal wheelspin and no wheel hop.

It does not seem to slow down the acceleration as far as I am concerned. I suspect it might impede an M6 however.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts