Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am currently in the process of getting 2 66 Pontiac's, 1 is a Sprint 6 lemans and the other I just made a deal on is a 1966 GTO 2 door post, original paint Starlight Black with a red interior and 4 speed consul.It has the 242 code and being original there is no doubt its a real GTO. However in its life at some point the data plate was removed from firewall. All I can be sure of is it was a 4 speed and a 389.....the drive train is gone. The guy I am buying it from said the owner claimed it was a tri-power. Now here is dilemma 2, cost...I can put in an LS2 and six speed cheaper than I have found a correct date coded 389. I know the post car is the lowest production number and being a 4 speed maybe even lower, any suggestions from the community? Thank you

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Wondering what options were ordered on either car, it's smart to order PHS documentation. The '66 could turn out to be a 3spd car.

PHS Automotive Services, Inc.

On the missing trim tag, have helped solve same problem on a few '67's. What one will need is a copy of the original invoice from PHS, and then have to look at body numbers from a survey of other '66 GTO Post (coupes) out of the same assembly plant.

Once one looks at quite a few same plant, same bodystyle body numbers, one can then extrapolate a body number and narrow down the week the body was produced. Color code, interior code, and body option codes (if a a KC, Pontiac, or Framingham car ) will be eBay.

If anyone has same problem for Kansas City built '67 GTO hardtops or Coupes, should be able to help you. Only have so much recorded info on '66's, but its not extremely hard to come up '66 info.

On the engine choice, wait till you get the PHS, there were more '66 GTO's built than any other year and there are tons of '66 GTO coded engines out there waiting for a car to install them in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I restored Mopars for years and always wanted a 66 GTO and when these cars came available I grabbed them. I was really happy the GTO was in original paint....although its faded,worn and scratched I am happy I know there are no hidden issues in the body.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
good 'ol autocorrect, meant to write EASY in the last post.

Wanting to get a head start on figuring out the body number for a replacement trim tag, might post the VIN, leaving out the last two digits. Example 242076K1234xx.

Quite a few posts on '66 builds over the last year, and you never know someone may have a '66 built out of same plant with a very close VIN, then can take it to PM's.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
An original drivetrain Starlight Black/Red '66 4 speed/console/post car is a desireable car in the most sought after color combo. Keeping it Pontiac powered will add a TON of value. Pics? As the others have said, with the PHS information, you can have a new trim tag made for about $200-$300. The vendors need the correct documented info to keep it all honest. Again, a Black/Red '66 is a stunner, and not a common find these days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts