Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obscure question. I rent a garage for my GTO. It is cement block, has vents on the doors and on one wall, no windows. It has a stone floor over dirt, and the rocks sometime appear to be wet. There are other sign I may have a moisture problem. Taking steps to fix, with more vents in door, powered ventilation fan in roof and plastic vapor barrier under rock. I bought a hygrometer to measure the humidity. My quesrtion is, does anyone know what an acceplable RH is to keep a car in that enviroment without worry?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
The rocks are probably wet from condensation. Colder floor will draw the water out of warmer air. Better ventilation may help by moving air across the damp floor and evaporating the water. The BEST bet is to add a little heat so the floor stays warm and the air circulates......if you can get the floor and the air to the same temp., no more condensation....50-60% RH would be ideal in the warm weather.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rocks are probably wet from condensation. Colder floor will draw the water out of warmer air. Better ventilation may help by moving air across the damp floor and evaporating the water. The BEST bet is to add a little heat so the floor stays warm and the air circulates......if you can get the floor and the air to the same temp., no more condensation....50-60% RH would be ideal in the warm weather.
Thanks for the reply Eric. Good point, you're exactly right. Unfortunately, I dont have any power to the garage so no way of heating. Which also brings up the issue that the car itself also draws condensation. I cant decide whether to keep the cover on so it stays as warm as possible, or leave it off so when the condensation forms it will dry off when conditions change and not get the cover wet. Suggestions/ opinion? Thanks again

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
I don't like covers, except for keeping sun and dust off things. The condensate under the car will evaporate into the enclosed area of the cover and will cause more moisture problems IMHO.....run a power line if you can.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like covers, except for keeping sun and dust off things. The condensate under the car will evaporate into the enclosed area of the cover and will cause more moisture problems IMHO.....run a power line if you can.
I am renting, and the owner refuses to run power. And I have a sheet rhrown over iot now rather than the cover, just for the reason you say. have to find a way to heat without electricity, maybe something nuclear. Like your racoons, I had one for a pet when I was a kid, Use to ride my bicycle downtown with him on my shoulders. Freaked people out.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Just rent another garage. Having it in a building with an open floor is worse than having it parked on the street.

The ground water there may have high salt content, the lack of sun can cause mold to grow in places you'll never get to, and low airflow is going to make sure it stays wet. I saw a restored car go into a dirt floor barn, then come out 6 months later with rust everywhere; even freshly chromed bumpers had deep pits and rust.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
My uncle is a farmer and tells me about guys storing cars in barns with cows. The high urine content is like acid and will cause your car to rust at extreme rates. Cars have survived nicelly for years in unheated dirt floor barns. I think it's more the "additional" conditions that effect rust more, like birds, rodent's, humidity, urine, than just the barn.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Get a roll of 4 mil plactic and cover the stones up.Serves as a barrier between the floor and the car..........Cheap way to break the moisture from the car...JB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts