Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a salesman from a Chevy dealer today and told him I was interested in the GTO. He told me that the car was having alot of problems??

To be honest, I didnt get into it about what he meant. SO, are you guys aware of any problems with the car??

By the way, I was in a Pontiac dealer today and sat in the 06 GTO, what a awesome car. I have to get back there and go for a test drive,

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe he was referring to problems selling the car. That is the biggest problem that I'm aware of.

As to major issues with the GTO, I've only seen 2 reported: strut rub on 245 width tires (like the stock 17"), and the 04 GTO fuel line/fuel rail cover chaffing issue.

The strut rub can be avoided.. I've heard proper alignment, and/or camber adjustemnent. The 04 fuel line issue only seems to affect that one year, and can be corrected by replacing the fuel line with a braided hose (I think the hose is about $15-25 or so, plus you need a tool to remove it).

Considering that all cars may have issues, this isn't too bad. Other than that, people have had individual problems, but my impression is this car is above average on quality. Mine certainly feels solid. The only issues mine have, which I have not gotten fixed yet, is the instrument panel creaks just a bit going over bumps, and there is a dull spot on one seat where the seat color dye didn't seem to permeate well enough or somehow got rubbed off.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm dealing with the guy on a deal related to a car I'm getting my wife (Cadillac SRX). I'll ask him what he meant next time I talk to him. Thanks for the info.

Have to admit, pretty excited about the chance of getting one. (havent run it by the boss yet). I have always loved Pontiac's and they have a great lineup of cars now. I've done the German thing and trying to go back to domestic cars now.

I actually just joined the Garden State GTO club here in Northern Jersey. Would be nice to actually own a GTO (also love the Firebirds, 69 is my favorate year)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’m fairly new to the car, so others more knowledgeable could say more, but this is what I've gathered from reading on this and other forums:

1. The 17” wheels often experience strut rub on the fronts.
2. Some of the cars have paint quality issues.
3. Some of the LS2s have been burning oil beyond the expected rate
4. Some have water leaks somewhere on the door seals.
5. Some have rear differential problems, but this is easy to detect
and replace under warranty.
6. Some have electrical gremlins.
7. The fuel line sometimes rubs against the fuel rail covers. Easily
correctable but really needs to be done.

A minority of folks have experienced a few of these issues. Of course all car models have some problems, and I don’t know if the GTO has more or less than any other car.

So far, my car feels very solid, no problems.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Well, the GTO is more import than domestic in a way, but it is based on a familiar style (muscle car style).

Having the GTO will give you a good club feeling--it's nice when you do run into another one on the road, and give them a wave or honk and they return it to you. :cool

·
Registered
94 Posts
the 04's had most of those problems. my 05 had a few electrical gremlins, but once you get the bugs out, its worth it. the quality of the car is unsurpassed. where else can you find an interior like it? no matter the price, but especially on a $30k car!

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
I had the leak problem on the drivers door, and an electrical problem with the cluster which turned out to be a loose ground they found. The car doesn't burn oil, it did alittle in the first 2000 miles, but not anymore. The car has been great! Wish I could say the same for that B&M peice of crap I put in! It snapped off 3 days ago, thank God it didn't fall down in the tranny! Still wondering how to approach B&M with this one! I'm sure they won't stand behind their product.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually tried to, one of the local Pontiac dealers had a 06 in the show room, but wouldnt let me test drive it unless I completed all the presales stuff and it would be the last thing I did before signing the papers.

Anyway, I did talk to the salesman more about what problem he was refering to. He told me that he was hearing about alot of blown transmissions from other dealers. What do you guys know about this?

·
Super Moderator
8,433 Posts
Blown trannys? I haven't heard of any. I haven't read any on here. I think maybe he's confused.

Rear end problems yes. There was a problem with rear end whine. Tons of threads about that problem. That problem was with 05's, I think some 04's as well. Dana built a bunch of bad rears, and the dealers have been swapping them out. Warranty claims. I haven't heard much in the way of 06's having that problem.

Every model car has some issues. This car is as solid as a car can come. Some guys have some issues with different things, but most have no issues, or very few minor ones. If you want to nit pick the car to death, you can find a whole host of things. If a person is a complainer, they will find fault with everything in life. If you go modding the car out without doing it right, you can expect problems. Or, if you go tearing out bits, and pieces of the car to save on fuel, or whatever without researching what the parts you are removing actually do, then expect problems.

Chances are more than likely you'll get a trouble free ride. BUT, as with any car there is a chance of something not being exactly right no matter what car you get. If you are thinking about getting the car, get it. It's a dream to drive.

·
Registered
212 Posts
ridgegoat said:
I was talking to a salesman from a Chevy dealer today and told him I was interested in the GTO. He told me that the car was having alot of problems??
There is one huge problem. :rolleyes: If your Chevy was not the Corvette, a GTO is way too fast for you, :lol: and you should work your way up to it,:D starting with a Mustang.:rofl:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have no clue what he's talking about with the transmission. Perhaps it was the rear end, as was pointed out above. The only tranny problem I've heard of on a GTO was Groucho's, but when you produce a car, there's going to be probably at least one car out there with any given part having an issue. But it isn't an issue with this car--it was a random luck of the draw with his.

Perhaps the dealer was getting things confused with another performance car, the WRX and WRX/STi, that you do hear about a higher amount of transmission problems with. (Some people argue that the tranny problems on WRXs come from people being hard on their cars--I don't know if that is the case or not, just that you hear about tranny issues in those cars a lot).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Clueless said:
I have no clue what he's talking about with the transmission. Perhaps it was the rear end, as was pointed out above. The only tranny problem I've heard of on a GTO was Groucho's, but when you produce a car, there's going to be probably at least one car out there with any given part having an issue. But it isn't an issue with this car--it was a random luck of the draw with his.
This is true...the tail bearing on mine went out, trashing the tranny. Now, the stealership could have handled the issue better, but it was a definite "sh*t happens" occurance...I've not heard of the issue in any other T56...and there are a lot of T56s out there in everything from Mousetangs to Vipers to Aston Martins.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just saw three GTO's at the local cruise night (black, red and blue) all sweet. I'm taking my Jaguar to a dealer tomorrow who will put it on his lot and sell it under consignment, hope it sells fast. Pontiac has zero financing right now. I am also considering leasing it. This way I can just walk away in three years and if I really wanted to keep one, I can just go out and buy a low milage one. If I didnt want to keep it, I dont want a car worth less then I owe on it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
ridgegoat said:
I actually tried to, one of the local Pontiac dealers had a 06 in the show room, but wouldnt let me test drive it unless I completed all the presales stuff and it would be the last thing I did before signing the papers.

Anyway, I did talk to the salesman more about what problem he was refering to. He told me that he was hearing about alot of blown transmissions from other dealers. What do you guys know about this?
I'd find another dealer. My local dealer would not let me take one out without a salesperson in the car while two others allwed me to take one out alone knowing full well it was not the color/wheels I wanted.

Do all the paperwork first??? F that!

Gerry

·
Registered
454 Posts
first of all what the hell would a Chevy dealer know about a Pontiac?
they hardly know Chevys.........I think the biggest problem is that he had nothing to offer in the price range to hang with the GTO
I've had 1 small problem with my 06 GTO,paint problem that was resolved in 10 mins but my 05 Tahoe has been in the shop 4 times and my 05 Express van has had 2 recalls so far.............and the tranny slips occasionally on both

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.