Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow members,
I'm a new member and a huge fan of all Pontiac Muscle. I own a 1970 Lucerne Blue GTO hard top. I am trying to re-create a COPO GTO ( if there ever was one of these), and I've purchased 4 Wheel Vintiques series 62 steel wheels and 4 period correct Pontiac Dog Dish or "Poverty" hub caps. So far I've made it a heater delete, radio delete, 455, 4 speed, 12 bolt, 4:10 posi.
I'm undecided as to what color to paint or powder coat the wheels. I've seen black, metallic silver, ( like rally I's), or the body paint color. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Tom Belu
Columbus, Ohio

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC the COPO Camaro's rims were the same color as the body.
Thanks Frozen. Did you see the wheel stand the Cobra Jet 'Tang did? Too bad it was a Ford that won, but I'm stoked to see brand new Pony Cars in Stock Eliminator and Super Stock Classes! I've started watching NHRA again.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I actually seen one of the new COPO camaros on a trailer the other day...Nice! The closest we had to COPO's would have been the Royal Bobcat treatment that Ace Wilson did to new factory cars at Royal Pontiac. He also did all the tuning for Pontiac on the Media test cars.

Google Image Result for http://image.highperformancepontiac.com/f/events/hppp_1001_poci_gtoaa_convention/26853238%2Bw799%2Bh499%2Bcr1%2Bar0/hppp_1001_08_z%252Bpoci_gtoaa_convention%252B1970_gto.jpg

Google Image Result for http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/226391-1000-0.jpg%3Frev%3D2

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
With a Lucy Blue car, I'd paint the wheels the same color as the body. Much more stealth than black wheels or another color. Heck, you could even run whitewalls.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Steel wheels (8" wide?) painted to match body as geeteeohguy said, dog dish hub caps, wide corresponding tires - blackwall out, 2" lowered (but stiffer) suspension all around, front and rear sway bars, factory chrome drivers side only mirror (no the sports mirrors), hood pins with cables, deep throaty exhaust tone, and maybe the front spoiler.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well OBVIOUSLY it's gonna need an ALL-ALUMINUM Pontiac 428!!!! COPO's came with an all-aluminum 427 big block so that would be the closest you could come. I would assume Butler or a similar company has an aftermarket aluminum block. From there all you need is a set of Edelbrock heads and you're there (several thousands of dollars later of course!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts