Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody on here is running nitrous, if so how much are you safely running and would you recommend it to me?? I saw a video with a SS camaro with a 200 shot! So what do you all think??

Thanks
Blake

G

·
Honestly, if you DO want to start off with it, dont go more than a 50 shot. And there is a lot to consider when running the bottle. things like fuel, different plugs, detonation, knock retard, and type of nitrous injection. Granted when done right its a nice kick in the ass but you cant just bolt a bottle on and be done. LOTS of factors to consider.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i know i ran nitrous on my cobra.. but i mean i was looking at the kit that injects it into the MAF. the kit comes with a MAF designed for nitrous. All i could do is a 50 shot?

thanks
Blake

P.S. Sorry to keep buggin you. i didn't want you to respond to this one. kinda like giving you a break haha :D :cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now when i say experience i mean.. i have had nitrous but don't really know the functions/what to look for.. so yeah i need your help. If i knew what i was talking about i wouldn;t have started a topic on it!! haha :willy:

Thanks

G

·
hmm, good point. Well, allow me to elaborate then.

When running nitrous, you have to run a set of colder plugs. You also need to determine if you want to run a dry or wet system. The kit you speak of is a dry kit as it injects only nitrous and relies on the stock fuel system for extra fuel. This is usually good for a 125 shot, although its optimal at 100. You will also want to get a fuel cutoff switch, bottle warmer, blow off valve, and solder/heat shrink ALL your electrical connections. A purge kit is nice but not necessary. As for the GTO, it can probably handle a 100 shot all day long, AS LONG AS you keep an eye on your plugs. It is a great experience but it can also be a costly one as the LS2 sells for @ $5000 should you pop your motor.

You sure you want the kit?

Have you seen the videos on my site of the Supra vs. Z06 ??? lemme tell ya, THAT video will make you want the kit IMMEDIATELY!!!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
LS1's with stock internals can hold a 150 shot, it you replace the rod bolts, connecting rods, and pistons with ARP and forged material then 300+. Make sure the fuel system can handle it and above all, do not skimp on product, one mistake or cheap part and you'll be calling me for another LS1! :cheers

G

·
oh crap, thats right, the 04's were LS1..... those seem so "old school" now. lol Sorry Blake.

Ya know, MTI can rebuild an LS1 for $2800! Forged internals, balanced and blueprinted, and if you want heads and cam, its a free install. So for the cost of a new one ($4500) you can have a 500hp LS1 daily driver!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
big_mike said:
oh crap, thats right, the 04's were LS1..... those seem so "old school" now. lol Sorry Blake.

Ya know, MTI can rebuild an LS1 for $2800! Forged internals, balanced and blueprinted, and if you want heads and cam, its a free install. So for the cost of a new one ($4500) you can have a 500hp LS1 daily driver!
True, but who the hell sells them for $4500????? Not me....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well i want a 125 shot. i would like a 150 shot. but don;t want to push it. keep i mind i MAY spray 5-8 times a month. so reallly not that much. I had a 100 shot wet kit on the cobra. they said wet was the best for 100+ what do you recommend. I was looking at getting the ZEX Wet kit, because of the sfety features it had. I am just gonna probably put the nozzle in front of the throttle body because if you get the one in the throttle body its EXPENSIVE i beleive. Your advice is MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
04BlkGto said:
Well i want a 125 shot. i would like a 150 shot. but don;t want to push it. keep i mind i MAY spray 5-8 times a month. so reallly not that much. I had a 100 shot wet kit on the cobra. they said wet was the best for 100+ what do you recommend. I was looking at getting the ZEX Wet kit, because of the sfety features it had. I am just gonna probably put the nozzle in front of the throttle body because if you get the one in the throttle body its EXPENSIVE i beleive. Your advice is MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks
ZEX sucks ass! Get Nitrous Express, and yes run a wet shot. It's best to get the car tuned for nitrous, it will respond better and generally run better on the bottle if you do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well i belive ya on that! would YOU run a 125 or 150 shot??? What would you do??? Theres a mach one with a 100 shot. i want to make him wish HE HAD a Gto!! but at the same time not blow the engine!! haha

Thanks

Also what Kit would you recommend?? NX wise

G

·
wet CAN be a pain in the a** to tune, but when done right, its a VASTLY superior setup!

Also, get the GEN-X kit as the GEN-X2 kit has a purge and thats not really necessary.

·
Registered
214 Posts
So back to the original question - does anyone have NO2 on their 05 GTO? I went to the track Sat and I would love to pick up .5 sec with a 100 hp kit, but would like to hear from those who have already done it. BTW - best of three runs was 13.3 @ 105.

G

·
uhhhhhhhh, a 100 shot would give you at least a second gain! every 10hp is roughtly a tenth.

A good estimate for your vehicle would probably be 12.5 @ 112-114.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
QwkRed05GTO said:
So back to the original question - does anyone have NO2 on their 05 GTO? I went to the track Sat and I would love to pick up .5 sec with a 100 hp kit, but would like to hear from those who have already done it. BTW - best of three runs was 13.3 @ 105.
I believe the original question was, does anyone have nitrous on their GTO, not specific to the year.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Has anyone ever used a kit from Compucarnitrous? They offer a "hidden" kit that appeals to me because I can easily remove it if I have to take the car in to the dealer, but have some extra HP at the track.

http://www.compucarnitrous.com/TEST/kits/hidden10lb.htm

Cheap price too

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.